Any weird food in Bangkok

dogs and rats are poor people's food in thailand (with the exception of sakhon nakhon, where dog is appreciated food) in opposite ot china or korea. so normally thais do not admit, that they eat that.

beside fried bugs, you can find all kind of stuff on the streets (for example in SC or Nana): fried grasshoppers, caterpillars, living shrimp salad etc. etc.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, dog, bugs, and so on being taken into account. ( tried most of it,and what ever else they "spring" on me to see my reaction.)

the thing that scores high on my "yuk" scale I found out by accident. ( did not see or try it though)

while working near nakon phanom some time ago, I got fed up ( pissed off ) and lost my "cool" with someone.

told them "kin kee lao die" ( eat shit and die) more or less.

a friend overheard it, and said thai ppl can eat shit and not die.

( and I did get a goofey look for the outburst)

seems one thing they prepare ( agin "prepare" for lack of a better word) is part of the intestine from a young ox, that is still "packed"

not on my list of things to try.

any one else try it. ( or thinking back, figure out some one "slipped it to them" unknowingly)

pasathai,

quote:

seems one thing they prepare ( agin "prepare" for lack of a better word) is part of the intestine from a young ox, that is still "packed"

not on my list of things to try.

This reminds me of a delicious specialty in Roma : cooked intestines of a calf still drinking his mother's milk. So inside the intestine chunks you find only condensed natural milk. You serve it in a dish of rigatoni. Superb.

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

A friend just told me about something called
Nok kow tau gratiem
that he liked to eat up in one of the provinces.

Bat fried with garlic. Um, Um.
Arois!

This seems to me to be some kind of bird, not a bat which would be KAHNG(h)-KHAO. I'm not familiar with the NOK(h) KOW(l) which would literally mean "the old bird".

PLAA KOW(l) "the old fish" is grouper. It has always made me curious how the people who named this fish centuries ago could have known of its prehistoric origin.

Lamock- could you give us an exact explanation of the meaning of your handle?

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: luckyfarang ]

I think the slang word for it ( maybe when in soup) sounds like "only one"

kind of a shock ( for me anyway) to walk past the stall selling them, all cut and stacked so neatly.

( somehow, I think about being a butterfly is not such a good idea at times like that)

LuckyFarang is correct in his translation in this post:

quote:

This seems to me to be some kind of bird, not a bat which would be KAHNG(h)-KHAO. I'm not familiar with the NOK(h) KOW(l) which would literally mean "the old bird".

Your translation is essentially correct but it's one of those slang things again. The guy who told me of this delicacy is from a province (can't remember where) that has a lot of caves, hence the bats. To disguise the fact that they're eating bats, they use a euphemism to describe the food.

quote:

Lamock- could you give us an exact explanation of the meaning of your handle?

wink.gif" border="0

PLAA KAO® or "grouper" does not translate "old fish". The "KAO" is rising tone, not low tone. I'm not sure what "KAO" in this context means, but it is definitely not "old".

Archived