Visa Runs in Trouble??

Pianoman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone clarify that you can only obtain a Non-Immigrant B visa in your home country? (i.e. The country of your passport). Or, (as in the case of my British friend who asked me), can they go to a neighbouring country such as Malaysia, and obtain it there? (They are able to obtain all the correct paperwork to get this visa, so that's not a problem... it's just the location to get the visa they want to know about).

Thanks if anyone can answer.

As it now stands, you can only get a non-immigrant B MULTI-ENTRY visa in a western country. Thai embassies in Asia will only issue a non-extendable 90-day non-immig B visa. A friend found this out in Korea recently.

I know people who have gone to Oz or the UK and got one without much trouble though. Seems like it must be aimed at the backpacker teacher types and others that stay in LOS for years at a time on 30 day VOAs. We had long discussions at work at what this is going to mean for the language institutes who hire these people ... plus the many primary and secondary schools who also get their teachers through agencies which simply do not have enough WPs allowed for all of their teachers to get a proper visa. The govmt may be facing a surprise when these schools start yelling that they can't get any native speaker English teachers all of a sudden.

Isn't there a technocal difference between "Visa on arrival" and the 30 day entry Visa I get as a US citezen (And other people as well)? I thought the VOA was for people from certain countries who needed to go through more "hoops." I know there are separate lines on arrival for VOA Vs. the 30 entry visa...can anyone clarify?

Non-Immigrant Visa

LA Thai Consulate Website

"*** Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.

*** The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents."

OK, what the hell is the Non-Immigrant Visa good for? can't work, can't be a tourist, can't seek any employment, can't look for a school to teach or study in...looks like you can only chase pussy??? :dunno:

...I know there are separate lines on arrival for VOA Vs. the 30 entry visa...can anyone clarify?

Thai Consulate India

The 14 countries are also listed at this site.

TEMPORARY TOURIST VISA : VISA ON ARRIVAL

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 14 countries may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.

- The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- The applicant must produce instrument of means of transport (full paid ticket) which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry.

- Visa on arrival is provided at 23 designated international checkpoints and applicants should produce the application form to which his/her recent photograph (2 1/4 inches) is attached. The application fee is 300 Baht.

- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. (662) 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website http://www.police.go.th/frconten.htm

<< OK, what the hell is the Non-Immigrant Visa good for? >>

You already have to have a job to get one! So that means you have to come here (unless hired abroad) on a tourist visa, look for a job, land it ... then leave with the proper paperwork to get a non-immigrant B and come back!

Brilliant.

p.s. I had to have a copy of my uni contract and a letter saying they had hired me before I could get mine.

p.p.s. A couple of years ago the Thai gummint cracked down on the 90 day multi-entry visas. I know folks who lived here for years on them. You could pay a company to say you worked for them and had to leave the country periodically, and voila ... instant 15 month visa. Immigration (or somebody above them) is tightening down on everything. But isn't that typical of a fascist state?

Archived