Visa Runs in Trouble??

Pianoman

Are you a tourist masquerading as a businessman or some sort of odd impresario cavanami? :neener:

Cheers,

the_numbers

Yes, I am all the above :beer:

I am working in Asia, using BKK as "home base". I may stay in BKK for 1 ~ 3 months, then take off to work in another country.

With the 30 day VOA, that worked great for me. If I stayed a bit extra in BKK, no problem, just catch the bus to Poi Pet and good to go for another 30 days.

Now, I will either change my home base or get serious to get a multi-entry visa. The 90 day thing will not cover me for the whole year.

For sure, I am not going to throw the dice with the immi folks at the airport!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us/specifically me :) know what you find out. I would pay the fee for the 1 year Visa if it ment less/no Bullshit...my passport is maybe a year old, has about 9+ entry stamps in it, this will get really confusing for the Immigres! Oh, what happens if you "lose" your passport and get a new one, free of stamps? wonder how good their tracking system is...as a new passport would have a new number...

One year VISA requires all the paperwork to be a non Immigrant, and in the case of a "B" for business is usually for employment OH. Need a company to help you there :dunno::(

Meanwhile, as a tourist visiting what angle you got for that? What employment you got? Perfurme smuggling? BG buggering :neener::grinyes: ummmm... Annie's might sponsor ya?? no?

Either way I guess its time to do the lord's work here.. perhaps the missionary VISA? Can't wait to see that application. You could just go ahead and get on the blacklist old boy.

Cheers,

theNumbers

I just paid for and got a double entry tourist visa from the consulate here ( UK ) and was hoping that would give me 6 months stay...that plan is looking a bit shaky now ...maybe I`ll phone the consulate on monday and enquire about a refund...

Actually, forget the refund for now, if this new information, is correct, you may have avoid the rush...

MENTORS, posted this earlier, in another thread... I think you will see it, in tomorrows news.

So Says chuckygobyebye, on the Thai Visa Web site.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=...

This evening there was an informal meeting/unofficial press conference held at a small cafe on Samsen Road with an Interpol representative and a high ranking secretary from Immigration (who was responsible for drafting much of this policy) concerning the issue that has been eating everyone alive over the last few days.

The immigration rep (whose duties among other things include maintaining the "balcklist" of "undesirables") assured the small group of journos there that things aren't changing all that much. Basically, according to him and the interpol chap, the prime reason for the changes is because with the expemption stamp, immigration and other authorities are unable to do background checks easily against the blacklist (or further investigations with other countries), and thereby keep out known murderers, terrorists, fugitives, and what have you.

So, they said in no uncertain terms that it is possible to continue to stay for years on end as long as you limit your exemption stamps (the 30 day "visa on arrival" border runs), to three, and then go to the consulate in any other country and obtain a two-month tourist visa and return (they said that the consuls are all being instructed to issue these visas -- with the blacklist check). This can be extended at immigration for an extra 30 days and then you can either go and get another one (yes, back to back), or do three more border runs and then another tourist visa. This being the case, border runners will only have to do a maximum of 8 departures a year, but as few as four, if they opt for four back-to-back tourist visas. So if anything, it is more convenient for the long-term stayer, and the authorities get to reduce the amount of true scum (as in criminals, not backpackers and other people that some on this forum have arbitrarily deemed distasteful individuals)

I suspect this will post be shouted down and ridiculed because so much has gone before this and so many have staked their forum name on their theory, but the reps were legit and they were very clear. Maybe the system will break down after a few months, who knows, but this is meant to be the current state of affairs.

So the good news is: It's business as usual folks. Now isn't everyone sorry they blew heart valves over this?

I_Hear_Lee, i don't see you've got a problem. If you read the statements by the immigration people they repeatedly go on about people getting back to back 30 day stamps. They then go on to say that these people should get a tourist visa (or another type of visa which ever is appropriate for their circumstances) from their home country. Which is exactly what you've done. Ok you are having more than 90 days in the country but it is with a proper visa which is exactly what they are saying they want. I would only think you would have any problem if you continued to get back to back tourist visas for a significant period of time?

Simie.

Bit paranoid here. I've currently got four months worth of visa runs under my belt. Coincidentally my next one is due on the 1st of October; when the new rules are meant to come into 'full force'.

Now, what I'm thinking is it might just be better to leave on the 1st, but if I do want to stay longer, if I do the visa run before the 1st OCT, will there be no problem.

That is do I get another 90 days effective from the 1st of October or am is this law retroactive (which sounds unlikely).

Thanks for any advise.

From my take on it, and this is only my interpritation of the confusing statements being issued, I would say that you could effectivly get closer to 120 Days since the laws are not being applied retrospectivley.

Make a Visa Run early and return before 1st Oct.

Make a Visa run late Oct, and that will be first Entry out of three under the new laws.

Repeat for visa runs 2 and 3 and you could stay here until mid Jan 07.

Archived