Bush or Blair?

Tiger Moth

American's like Blair more even though he says the same thing as Bush. The reason is Blair has an english accent.

I recall Blair coming here a couple years ago and told both houses of congress its right to be in Iraq, keep the course, etc., basically everything Bush said (or tried to say) and every headline said to send them Bush and keep Blair.

Sounds crazy about the accent but this country goes goo goo ga ga over it. Blair is well liked in the states, even by a lot of liberals and those opposed to the war. Until someone can come up with a better reason, its the only thing I can come up with.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds crazy about the accent but this country goes goo goo ga ga over it. Blair is well liked in the states, even by a lot of liberals and those opposed to the war.

Maybe that is why John Howard is such an unknown in America. Us Australians not having an accent like the rest of the world.

I agree it is the people who have been stupid....we let this happen, if there was not such a hugely apathetic attitude to politics then maybe they couldn't get away with lies, deceit and betrayal...

They tried to impeach Clinton over a blow-job....Bush has systematically misled/lied to, his own country, resulting in thousands dead, billions wasted, an erosion of his own peoples rights, caused/provoked huge hostility to the US internationally, failed to capture Bin Laden, failed to win the 'war' on terror, abused/ignored the Geneva conventions on human rights AND he's even screwed up the economy, will leave office with the US in dire economic shape, failed to reform healthcare, failed to improve education and literacy, in fact what are his achievements??.....oh yeah, all his buddies and sponsors got richer...!! ...why is he still in power?

I agree it is the people who have been stupid....we let this happen, if there was not such a hugely apathetic attitude to politics then maybe they couldn't get away with lies, deceit and betrayal...

They tried to impeach Clinton over a blow-job....Bush has systematically misled/lied to, his own country, resulting in thousands dead, billions wasted, an erosion of his own peoples rights, caused/provoked huge hostility to the US internationally, failed to capture Bin Laden, failed to win the 'war' on terror, abused/ignored the Geneva conventions on human rights AND he's even screwed up the economy, will leave office with the US in dire economic shape, failed to reform healthcare, failed to improve education and literacy, in fact what are his achievements??.....oh yeah, all his buddies and sponsors got richer...!! ...why is he still in power?

Nicely Put.

That's very true about the accent CS. I got a lot of mileage out of mine in the US. It opened a few doors (and a few legs) and got me off the hook a few times. Never understood why.

British accent is close to the American upper class accent. Americans tend to confuse the two, I think. FDR is a good example of someone w/ an upper class accent. If you listen to those in the US diplomatic community or in preppy schools like Groten, they all tend to have that sophisticated accent. [bush is an exception]

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/bush-impersonator-p1.php

I think I would have to go with Blair. He does seem far more intelligent and articulate. And, if he didn't fall in line with Bush allowing for the use of the term coalition (which seems to be meant to imply many countries thought invading IRAQ was a needed course of action), maybe, maybe, maybe Bush and Cheney would have had 2nd thoughts.

I can understand how the dullard Bush could be led by Cheney (and his former underling Wolfowitz who recommended this course of action years before) but, I have no idea why an intelligent person like Blair would go along.

Ultimately we are all at fault since both countries elect them and/or their parties.

bust1, trust me, Americans can't tell the difference bewteen an Aussie and English accent. Unless its a very pronounced Oz accent and it has to sound exactly like Crocadile Dundee or Irwin. You'd be surprised at how many Kiwis, Aussies, South African whites and even some Irish or Scots are asked if their English. I dated a kiwi girl here several years ago and my way in was saying 'hmmm, that accent is interesting, are you from New Zealand?' and her eyes lit up and she thought I visited there or something. (I actually was told prior..hehehe). She was just sooooo glad I didn't ask if she was English.

Anyway, I digress...as usual...Blair seems far more intelligent and perhaps he is so you'd think he knows better. However, much has been said about Bush's lack of intelligence and he does seem that way but I don't think he's as stupid as his detractors claim. They said the same about Reagan and he was a canny politician. If Bush is as stupid as people say and he's a prop for the neo cons who are pulling the proverbial string and are puppet masters to Bush the puppet, then this country's decline is on a steep decline instead of the gradual one that I thought. He's smarter than we give him credit for. If for nothing else by being smart enough to surround himself with people who are smarter than he is.

Archived