"Can Do" - The bar scene reinvented as a fair place to work

Chanchao

Last Friday I was strolling around rather aimlessly in the area that passes for 'naughty nightlife' in Chiang Mai. One of the girls I often chat with wasn't there, and turned out she was at the opening party for a new bar run by, wait for it, The Empower Foundation! Empower is an NGO that helps sex workers in Thailand, and it's one of the few of those organizations that I really like. I like them for several reasons (strictly MY personal opinion/understanding, I'm not involved with Empower in any way):

* They don't attempt to force anything on to the girls; They don't start by assuming that all girls working in the sex industry need or want to be rescued, they don't try to convert people to a religion, they don't assume that men going with prostitutes are bad. They'd like sex work to be legal with the same type of protection and benefits as people working in other jobs.

* They want to higlight that life isn't fair for many working in the sex industry. By providing advice and education, girls can work smarter and safer and gain more opportunities, either in the sex industry, or outside. A (male) friend once jokingly described this as 'teaching hookers how to be better hookers', which in itself would be a good thing, but with more education they enable / empower girls to seek other careers if they want to.

* Absolutely all girls that I've talked to who go for courses to learn stuff absolutely love it, and love the teachers. They even have swimming lessons, Wednesdays.

* Empower is run by wonderful people, the lot of them. :) This applies to both the Thais and foreign people who work for Empower.

Plus, it was the opening night for a bar, and bar openings are by definition fun. I was not dissappointed. The bar is called "Can Do" (tham eng dai), located at Chiang Mai Land, roughly half way down the strip. It's interesting to note that this is an area rarely visited by Western tourists.. Sex tourists or otherwise. It IS very much a nightlife area, filled primarily with karaoke bars and some pubs/discos. So the area gets mostly local Thai visitors, and foreigners from those countries where people can stand karaoke. :)

The party was awesome, loads of people, many of whom I knew from the Chiang Mai bar scene. Even has gogo poles, and there were fun & games, "boxing" matches, etc.

I think this place clearly deserves support, but attracting Western customers is not going to happen from walk-in traffic. I can see it as a good place to visit for just about anyone, local residents, tourists,(s)expats even.

I'm going back there this Friday. A good thing is that all Chiang Mai tuk tuk, taxi and red bus drivers know Chiang Mai Land. SO getting there should be easy.

Cheers,

Chanchao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMPOWER

http://www.empowerfoundation.org/

There are similar groups in the Bay Area. Coyote (Call Off Your Old Tired Ethics) and St. Jane's infirmary. Both provide all sorts of services to sex workers, acknowledging that this people are working in a Chosen profession. It seems a good idea. There was a time when Brothels were leagal, and sort of accepted. No reason they shouldn't be again.

How much is the Barfine?

Seriously, I know an ex BG who was became involved with them. Without pressure, she soaked up what she could in terms of understanding and increasing awareness. Eventually, she left the bar, ended up in farangland, graduated from UNi, and now hold down a responsible, well earning job. Miracles do happen.

I've spoken to a couple of BG's who have had a bit to do with Empower, and they only said good things about them.

Good for the gals to have an organisation like this.

Chiang Mai land is fun... BOSSY 2000 PUB has some of the best GTG eye-candy I've ever seen. But then again... that's Chiang Mai girls for you!

MooNoi

Intresting. Any specifics on what (if anything) they propose to do differently? Bar fines? lady drink quota's? "off rules"?, fines for being late? Compulsory STD testing? Is it set up as a collective? Profit sharing? Know you will not be in on all the nitty gritty details, but just wondered if you had any more info on the real mechanics of the place..

-j-

No ideas about the Chaing Mai deal, which is what I assume you were referring to. One of the places in SFO, is indeed a worker own cooperative. The strippers/whores are unionized (Hospitality workers Union), they get medical, profit sharing, work rules etc...new twist on an old theame I guess. Do a google search for "Lusty Lady" on Kearny street in SFO, should find something.

Archived