UBC picture 'quality'

coops1967

After buying a very nice Panasonic 37" LCD tv was stunned by the DVD pictures from a KEF Kit100 dvd player (on progressive scan).

But was also surprised to see how poor AXN channel was compared to the other UBC channels. Hadn't noticed it before with a regular tv - and it's not unwatcheable so.....

came across this at the Bangkok Post - VCd quality! :-

"I get all kinds of questions from readers and a recent one was about the picture quality of the UBC TV transmissions. To quote directly from a response from the UBC service centre, "UBC transmission quality is equivalent to VCD picture." So now you know - picture quality is lowered for transmission to your homes, but Thai Free TV channels are still at normal TV picture quality. VCD is the lowest standard for video, even lower than a video cassette tape. If you buy a new LCD TV, for example, you will see the quality issue. As for HDTV, "UBC is developing its transmission system as well as equipments to support high-definition television system in the future."

Oh well.

Coops

UBC is a good reason not to get a nice TV because it becomes distracting to see how crappy their picture quality really is. And of course you don't get it in wide screen either. That's hilarious to hear it is VCD quality. But UBC will never admit their picture quality is anything less than stellar and haven't seemed motivated to have a decent offering like good picture quality, price, number of channels, or reliability in the rain.

Point to remember the bigger the TV you use to watch UBC on , the worse, not better it will look.

I love hearing about people buying flat screen TV's to watch UBC and end up looking at shit,

That said UBC picture quality, while not great has improved as have the rain fade issues since they switched satellite a month or so back.

Always think this was, if you keep making a photo bigger on a photocopier it looks worse and worse and worse, same with any TV transmission.

Answer is to receive some HD content (i.e. DVD or better quality).

But who broadcasts that i wonder?

Announcement coming this Christmas

DOG

Hi,

"After buying a very nice Panasonic 37" LCD tv"

Ooohhh, very bloody envious here :)

I'm looking at getting one by the end of the year hopefully.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Sanuk!

This 37" isn't made/available anymore.... was going to get the 42" but have to say the 37" is plenty big enough for my living room.

The 42" was reduced to round about 99,000 bht from 150,000ish when i was looking. Great... then i asked about the stand - the Panasonic can have a very very nice stand if you (like me( can't wall mount and don't want to go anf find some suitable Tv stand etc.

Now the shock :shocked:

The stand was extra - no surprise there, i knew it would cost a bit extra but sheeeeeeet.... i belive they (ie several shops) quoted 40,000 baht!!!! Feck.

I just couldn't face paying that for a stand....

Instead got a shop demo model with stand (the 37" one) for 60,000 i think it was :cool:

The Pioneer 43" plasma is also well reviewed....

BTW - UBC thru this 37" (and prob the 42") is ok, that is to say it's certainly no worse than a regular TV - just that AXN was noticeably poorer video quality. NOTE - i have heard that Sony LCD's can be poor with the UBC signal.

The installation guys (TIT :D ) for the KEF system had a test disk - I'd seen I Robot before on my CRT 100HZ telly, but the picture from a quality prog scan DVD and plasma was stunning. Also pictures from "The fast runner" are freakishly clear...

The KEF kit100 is excellent but way pricier here than Us or even UK, sadly. The Denon S-301 (?) would also be good if like me you're after an all in one for music and DVD's with good 'fake' surround.

coops

Point to remember the bigger the TV you use to watch UBC on , the worse, not better it will look.

I agree. When I bought a Sony screen in the earlier part of this year I asked the shop to show me UBC channel which they were reluctant to do at first as their DVD player was plugged in showing a good picture. Eventually they plugged in UBC and I had to say no to a 42inc screen in favor of 32 which was just about passable on quality. I do enjoy the DVD's but still seem to be watching UBC more for news etc so couldn't justify the extra expense on a larger screen that was going to look awful. That was 6 months ago, not sure if thingshave changed. One thing I notice is certain UBC channels are clearer than others...

Archived