Side Trips whilst in BKK and Pattaya

potica69

BKKBound / Thalenoi Thanks for the Heads Up about Muang Boran. We were over near Bang Pakong this morning, some diatant cousin of the wife opening his hospital there, and we took a drive out to the Ancient Village, I had my in-laws in the car with me.

Boy did I score mega-brownie points for suggesting going there.

• 5 weeks later...

Visited again for the second time today, last time was just a 2 hour drive through with the in-laws, today we spent a full day there with my family from the UK.

If you drive through, all of the replicas appear to be facades, but a lot of the replicas are actualy scale models of the originals and you can walk around inside them and the attention to detail is immaculate.

Whether you are into culture, photography or just want to get away from the hustle and bustle less than an hours drive away you cannot go far wrong there, rent a bike or a Golf Buggy (200 THB / Hr, he charged me 700 for 9 hours)

Over dinner tonight, my Brother in Law from UK asked "Why is Muang Boran not in all the tourist handouts?", my simple reply was "So we can enjoy it"

Rivertrips: just hop in a long tail taxi and see where it ends up or rent your own.

Ayuthayaa: great ancient culture with lots of animism, heaps of temples, great outdoor restaurants

Kanchanaburi: Lots to do, Eerawan waterfalls is a must. Bring bread for the fishies!

Thanks for the Muang Boran tips. I wondered about that.

The Rose Garden can also be interesting if you wanna see cultural shows.

Plus the crocodile farm and snake farm are great to see. They let you carry the python if you want. At the snake farm have a look at the other side of the road. Forget the name of the temple but they cremate the dead there and the display of the temple is full of bloody pictures.

Archived