The ultimate New Airport thread coming soon

buffalo_bill

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a very public visit to the airport - disguised as a "passenger" - and I didn't think it was that bad. I can understand why some might think the distances to the gates are far, but I didn't think it is that bad and most of us (well me, at least) need the excercise. I didn't have any problems finding a bathroom. The restaurant prices were higher than comparables in town, but that is true at any airport and I didn't think the prices were outrageous. I cheated and carried on my luggage (after all the horror stories I wasn't going to tempt fate), but overall I see it as a vast improvement over Don Muang.

Good to hear a bit of a good report!

Some important points:

What time did you arrive at the airport?

Was the traffic bad or OK getting to the airport?

Was there a long wait to get checked in?

Was there a long wait at the Immi counters?

Where did you fly to?

What airline?

I waiting for a report from someone that flies out early morning (6 ~ 7 AM), as that is when most of the flights to the West leave and the airport is reported to be fully packed.

I had to go to Burma last week and I checked in at 6am for an 8am flight. It took me about 10 minutes to check in at that time and about another 10 minutes or so to go through immigration.

The distances to the gates do seem to be further than Don Muang but that may be down to a lack of signage as you enter Duty Free - you could end up wandering through duty free in the opposite direction to your gate and subsequently leave yourself with a long walk back.

Coming back in, my only gripe was that we were collected by bus from the plane and transported back.

No queues at immigration and about a 10 minute wait for luggage.

Overall, I would say I had a very positive experience of the new airport.

[Good to hear a bit of a good report!

Some important points:

What time did you arrive at the airport?

Was the traffic bad or OK getting to the airport?

Was there a long wait to get checked in?

Was there a long wait at the Immi counters?

/quote]

I arrived mid-afternoon on a week day, traffic was not bad, the line to check-in was not long, I wasn't flying Thai, I was flying in the SE Asia region and the line at the immigration was shorter than it usually was at the old airport.

Bear in mind that this is just one experience and I did not check in luggage. Based on what I have read, this seems to be the one serious problem. Signage can be easily fixed. A long walk to the gate - well I don't consider that a problem. But if there is a good chance that my checked baggage will get lost or seriously delayed - that is a problem.

Archived