The ultimate New Airport thread coming soon

buffalo_bill

one big problem of the new Airport is at the moment that there is only ONE lounge opened, the TG lounge in the D gates area.

when i fly out on friday evening for the second time it was totally crowded again, hardly any free seat available, queues just to enter and register, you need 10 minutes just to get a drink as it is so cramped!

passengers of many airlines have to use this one.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made the trip to the airport...one word...HUGE!!!

I took the #552 bus at 11 AM this morning, no traffic, no rain about a 40 minute ride from 95 Suk.

35 Baht, one way. Air-con and not crowded. There were several passengers with suitcases. It is a standard city bus, so if you have anything in the way of big/heavy luggage, you will have a hassle.

The bus went to the "Bus Terminal / Shopping Arcade", as the sign says on the building. Not much of an arcade, much ubder construction. There is also the Limo Area, 100 meters across the HUGE parking lot and a GIANT lot filled with taxis. The Bus Terminal is organized and looks like easy to get to Bangkok (several locations) or Pattaya.

Next, took the shuttle bus to the terminal. There were two white buses, well marked as Express 2nd Floor, Express 4th Floor and a "Ordinary" bus. I took the Ordinary bus and it was a non-express bus, stopping at very parking lots, office buildings and was mostly airport workers. It brought me to the ground floor of the terminal, all the way at the end. Shuttle bus was free.

I went in to the terminal and rode the multi-level escalators all the way to the top (Observation Deck), which is a bank and a resturant.

Rode back down, checking the departure area, peeked into the immigration area (a bit crowded for 12 noon), the check in counters were packed at a few airlines.

All the signs were large enough and I easily found my way around.

The many boards that they have to display the flight arrivals and departures were smaller then I would have liked to have seen, but I have seen smaller, Beijing airport being one.

Seating in the check in area, not much.

Washrooms, they are around, but being there at noon time, there weren't any lines.

The arrival area is extremely small and cramped. All the banks and money changers jammed in there do not help the situation, I would move them out to keep the crowds moving.

There were lots of waiting taxis, there looks to be several areas where you can get a taxi. I would estimate 50 ~ 75 taxis waiting for passengers.

I took the Ordinary bus back to the Bus Terminal, about a 10 minute ride. There was a #552 bus waiting and they are in operation 24/7 and appear to run every 30 minutes or so.

It was 2:30 PM and little traffic all the way back to 95 Suk.

I can well understand why it took so long to build the new airport...the termainal is HUGE, all the supporting buildings are HUGE, the infrastructure for the airport is HUGE and construction still going on and presently looking to hire 400+ workers, so lots of jobs!

Next time I fly out, most likely a 6 AM flight...it will be interesting how the airport handles thr crowds...

I was out there this weekend, dropped the Mrs off Saturday Morning for a Flight to Ubon picked her up Sunday.

Distance from Home (Sathorn) to the Terminal 41.3 KM, I took the Bangna-Trat route, 20 minutes to get there (oops OK I admit I speed) at 5 AM. I was back home and back in bed before the Mrs had made it from Check in to the gate.

On Sunday I found the Car Park quite confusing, Signs are rather limited and the car park was packed, maybe due to the fact it is still free parking and many Thais are making a trip to the swamp a day out, I also had difficulty in locating domestic arrivals.

Overall, I can't say I dislike it, I was so used to Don Muang that anything different is bound to be confusing to begin with, maybe the signs at DM were just as bad but due to familiarity I knew where to go.

I've been there 4 times, 2 times to collect people, twice to use it myself.

Have to say on domestic flights the lack of signs is amazing when trying to leave the place.

Biggest annoyance is that you can;t get a taxi to drop you at departures (meeting family), MUST be even after a 5 minute arguement with men in uniform twice, go in a taxi to arrivals ARGHHHHH

Place looks GOOD, but the elivatos are bizarre and travel in wrong directions.

The Taxi drivers twoce complainedd about the airport staff ripping them for being in the queue.

From my new office to there, same only 30 baht more.

Easy to find which was good, no traffic but then I was going there at odd times, 1 am, 5.30am , 10 am, and Sunday 4.30 pm.

Trying to find where to meet someone arriving is hard,

All in all, looks good, very good, but like most pretty thai things, pretty useless at much else

DOG

All in all, looks good, very good, but like most pretty thai things, pretty useless at much else

DOG

I tend to disagree, whilst having a coffee at a Global Franchise who's name I wont mention for fear of offending certain board members, my critical eye did wonder, after getting kicked in the shins for the 17th time for looking at the eye candy I looked at the Airport.

Lots of bare concrete, cable trays are on show, bare pipes, air con vents 18" drops into mid-air, oops the false ceiling is missing. It might be nice if / when they finish the place.

BTS from airport pretty much follows motorway 7 towards rama9 & presumedly ends at makasan/pratunam area without interconnecting with BTS/MRT?

Even much of the line seems close to completion near the airport its expected done in a years time or so...

Regarding the 'beautiful' airport how about the 'marble' floor already having plenty of dark spots not to mention the 'cracks' between sections causing the handcarry carts to bump like hell :down::(

Archived