Baseball -- How 'bout dem Deee-troit Tigers??

They have not had a winning season since 1993 and now are going to the World Series*!!!!!!!

What a dramatic finish to this ALCS -- a 2 out homer in the 9th inning to break a 3-3 tie...could have not been scripted better by Hollywood.

Sorry RChapstick (and any others) about the trouncing your A's and the Yanks took, but given the condition of Detroit nowdays (very depressed, 8% unemployment, and little prospect of anything good economically happening soon) it is much needed here to keep people's sanity.

Of course, I take full credit :clown:. They lost 37 of their last 50 games and looked to be in trouble...but I (the Tiger) arrive in town and they are now unstoppable LOL!!!

Cheers,

SD

* - Hold all comments about the arrogance of name of this sporting contest until you understand (as I have been told) that way back in the olde days, it was started and sponsored by a newspaper called The New York World. Plus in the late 1800s no one else played the game anyway.

Suadders,

I am happy for Detroit too. They are on a roll, and a league championship shouldn't be cause for any rioting, hopefully. ;)

Now, for the next week we'll have to hear 'experts' on TV speculate about how much the one week layoff will hurt the 'hot' team, while they wait for the results of the Cardinals and the Mets in the NLCS.

But the Tigers are sure looking good, with great pitching.

The 'World Series" origin thing is a myth, though. The newspaper you cite was a tabloid, and hardly made mention of the World Series at the time in question, according to a baseball historian. If they were sponsoring the event, you know they would have made a big deal of it. Look it up.

"World Series" just sounded a lot better than "US Series", let's face it.

And not too many other folks were playing baseball at the time. ;)

Now it's very international, as envisioned, which is cool. ;)

I applaud any team that beats the Yankees. Being a West Coast guy, I was pulling for the A's. But I really don't give a hoot. I'll be in the Tigers' corner if the Cards are in, otherwise, dunno. I imagine the TV advertisers are just glad is won't be the A's and Pads LOL !

Now...what about the Lions? LOL !

HH

Thanks Virgie & PM...I guess even big baseball fans (the guy who told me that) can be suckered into believing urban myths. I figured he was so knowledgable that I did not have to question it. Oh well.

18 Nov? Would that be the day Ohio State loses to Michigan? 55555555555555

H2: The Lions? Well, I think they'll be perfect this year...0-16! Just wait til next year. They must want to win the Super Bowl on the 50th anniversary of their last league championship. :doah:

Cheers,

SD

Heeeee Hawwww

Drinking Sang Som early morning in BKK , watched the fucker fly out to left field , had to hit the bedroom and give the GF her own " slammer " PM me a local phone number when you have time. Still stuck in BKK until the 22nd :cool:

The Wolve's are looking good.....I may have to try and get that bottle back from Pom Mikey...555

Bada :cool: Bing

Archived