Moving funds from abroad

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
be aware that european banks report all transfers above a certain amount to the CIA!!!

Samak I owe you an apology from my previous posting, having done some research on the topic I now realise you are in fact correct in your statement.

Sorry to jumpon you without finding out the full facts.

This is what I found

Brief News:

The European Parliament adopted a resolution on 6 July 2006, asking EU governments, the Commission and the European Central Bank "to explain fully the extent to which they were aware of the secret agreement" between the Belgium-based SWIFT ('Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication') and the authorities of the United States.

According to reports, which have been at least partly confirmed by the US, the data concerning millions of daily international money transfers is forwarded to the US, where it is made subject to data mining procedures. On the US side, the scheme, which is part of the 'war on terrorism', is operated jointly by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Treasury.

Addressing the Parliament in the debate on 5 July 2006, Commission Vice President Franco Frattini said that "the Commission will follow the developments very closely and, if necessary, we will make full use of our powers under the Treaty". He dropped, however, a phrase from his previously distributed speaking points, according to which "the transfer of such financial information falls within the scope of the Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC". This would have been in contradiction to earlier comments from Frattini's spokesman Frisco Roscam-Abbing, according to which "the data protection directive does not apply to data transfers for security purposes".

The Parliament's resolution was adopted with 302 votes from the PSE, Greens/EFA, ALDE and GUE/NGL Groups, against 219 votes from the PPE-DE and UEN groups. The two latter groups had tabled a much softer resolution, which called the transfer "alleged" and did not call for further investigation.

Source

Info from Citibank. Depends on what type of account you have...on-line, personal wire xfer has the $50K limit, it also states that if you actually do the xfer from the bank itself, no limit.

How It Works

Sending a Wire

â?¢ Visit any Citibank Financial Center & ask for a wire transfer form.

â?¢ You can also wire funds online.

â?¢ The minimum you can send is $1.

â?¢ There is no maximum amount if you initiate the wire at a Financial Center, but if you're sending the wire online, there may be a maximum, depending on the type of account that is the source of the transfer:

- CitiGold®. There's no limit to the maximum dollar amount for outgoing online wires.

- International Personal Banking (IPB). The maximum for each outgoing online wire transfer is $50,000. In addition, the total amount of all wires you send in a single day cannot exceed $50,000.

- All Others. The maximum for each outgoing online wire transfer is $50,000. In addition, the total amount of all wires you send in a single day cannot exceed $50,000.

Receiving a Wire

â?¢ Once Citibank receives an incoming wire, the funds are credited to your account in their entirety & you can access them no later than the next business day.

What It Costs

Wires Initiated at a Citibank Financial Center

â?¢ $25.00 for each outgoing domestic wire transfer.

â?¢ $40.00 for each outgoing international wire transfer.

â?¢ $10.00 for each incoming wire.

Citigroup Private Bank

â?¢ Outgoing wire transfers via Citibank Online are free.

â?¢ Incoming wire transfers to your Private Banking accounts are free.

CitiGold®

â?¢ $12.50 for each outgoing online domestic wire tranfer.

â?¢ $20.00 for each outgoing online international wire transfer.2,3

� Incoming wires to your Citigold® accounts are free.

International Personal Banking (IPB)

â?¢ $18.75 for each outgoing domestic wire tranfer.

â?¢ $30.00 for each outgoing international wire transfer.

All Other Accounts via Citibank Online

â?¢ $18.75 for each outgoing domestic wire tranfer.

â?¢ $30.00 for each outgoing international wire transfer.

â?¢ $10.00 for each incoming wire.

Global Executive Banking

â?¢ Fees (which are processed at the end of the month) vary. Please consult your company's enrollment package or call (813) 604-3290 for details.

For More Info

â?¢ Call 1-800-374-9700

â?¢ International Personal Banking (IPB) clients call 1-800-568-8555 (From outside the U.S. call 1-813-604-3000)

â?¢ Text Telephone (TTY): 1-800-788-0002

I recall reading somewhere that when purchasing a condo in thailand, the purchase amount must be transfered specifically for that transaction and not withdrawn from a local Thai account; is that correct?

The original poster should be sure of condo purchase regulations before he transfers the funds.

Cavanemi, the rules and regulations you found at bangkok Bank Soi 8 are almost what hit me also, then i was employed by a Taiwanese company, so the monthly fees didn;t botherr me too much, as a day to day account it sucks I guess, but it is possible.

The lack of internet banking is silly though.

have you thought of opening a account in Hong Kong? I dont know 1st hand but have been told easy to do and internet option available

DOG

hhmmm... lots of conflicting infos here... should check from bank to bank... different rules..just opened a HSBC UK business account and noticed they have lower limits than in HK (for internet transfer). I actually had to write a letter to the Bank to do the first transfer. Never had any problems in France but never wired very significant amounts . Sure companies need to wire millions ££ at a time so those ceilings must be adaptable anyway.

How those it work?

have you thought of opening a account in Hong Kong? I dont know 1st hand but have been told easy to do and internet option available

ND,

It seems you right abt HK, personnal accounts are easy to open without former appointment it seems and their internet banking seem as convenient as for business accounts with lower daily btransfer limits though. A friend just opened a personnal account there and he came back with his blank debit/credit card, if you consider alsso that only the account number might be important when you wire money, it sounds fairly discreet. No wonder why HK so repeateadly comes ahead of free trade friendly countries...

Cavanemi, the rules and regulations you found at bangkok Bank Soi 8 are almost what hit me also, then i was employed by a Taiwanese company, so the monthly fees didn;t botherr me too much, as a day to day account it sucks I guess, but it is possible.

The lack of internet banking is silly though.

DOG

All my accounts, USA and Japan, have internet access/banking as a standard feature.

I wanted a USD account in Thailand just for convience as at times I end up with some USD and would like to deposit them here in LOS.

I really want to play the USD <> Thai Baht exchange game, but looks impossible to do it here.

Archived