K-Cyber Banking just got more difficult

Palatkik

Was about to pay the monthly bills UBC, DTAC etc online Kasikorn Bank web site using a PC as well as schedule some inter bank transfers as I have done for several years from any internet access point. Now I need a Thai SIM card phone number as well to get a password to do it. They won't send authorization by email except with great difficulty. A pain in the butt when I am out of the country, but thatâ??s progress for ya! I will now need to get roaming Thai GSM when I go overseas to continue this or phone up K-Bank per bill payment to get authorization via email!

So Kasikorn is "improving the security"...more hassles!

Per their website...

Dear K-Cyber Banking customer,

In order to increase your K-Cyber Banking security level, KBank would like to notify you that we temporarily disabled your PIN2 or Security Password for doing the services of money transfers, bill payments and amending your personal profiles. But you still can use login password or PIN 1 to access the K-Cyber Banking as usual.

If you would like to make for the transactions that required PIN2 or Security Password as mentioned above, we recommend you to apply for OTP (One Time Password) service as part of the Two-Factor Authentication system. Every time you make

important transactions, the system will send OTP to your mobile phone via SMS immediately (Click here for more information).

You can apply for OTP through K-Contact Center at Tel. 0 2888 8888 24 hrs daily.

I just heard on the news today that LOS and Eastern Europe are the two major areas where keylogger programs have been used for identity theft. Problem is when people use public computers such as those in internet cafes to access brokerage and banking accounts for stock trading and fund transfers. It's possible for your passwords to fall into the hands of criminals via keylogger programs.

What Citibank did (maybe still does), you had to phone then within xx hours after you entered the xfer transaction. When you spoke with the Citibank person on the phone, you provided info to prove that it really was you and that you wanted to make the xfer.

I will be going to have a chat with the Kasikorn folks as I set up the account for the exact reason of doing xfers when I was not in BKK!

Maybe nothing to panic about, as it looks to be selectable as to use the OTP or not, per there website info.

How to use OTP?

Stay worry-free from forgetting your password with K-Cyber Banking's "One-Time Password". Whenever you make an important transaction, such as fund transfer or bill payment, our Two-Factor Authentication system will immediately send OTP password to your cellphone via SMS.

Simply start using our secure and convenient OTP service by yourself today at no additional costs, just login to your K-Cyber Banking account.

Through our convenient, fast and safe K-Cyber Banking service, you can immediately start reaping benefits from our new Two-Factor Authentication service by following these steps:

Step1 Login to K-Cyber Banking system

Step2 Choose the menu â??My Profileâ? and then select the menu item, â??Security Settingâ?Â

Step3 Choose â??Use OTP to Confirm Transactionâ?Â, and then input your mobile phone number and select your cell phone service provider

[color:red]Two selections available, use your (old) PIN2 or the new OTP.[/color]

Step4 Check the correctness of your mobile phone number, and then input your PIN2 code to confirm this transaction (if you forget your PIN2 code, please contact K-Contact Center at Tel. 02 888-8888)

Maybe nothing to panic about, as it looks to be selectable as to use the OTP or not, per there website info.

Just tried that, you can select OTP or not via the profile tab, but that successfully switches off OTP which I applied for on the phone yesterday. Now I am back to the old PIN2 and any transaction comes up with message below and I need to phone up again to get the OTP re-instated - this will be a real pain in the butt if SMS is delayed international as K-Bank says SMS codes only valid for 6 minutes!:

>>>Please note that we have temporarily disabled your PIN2 password due to security action. You are advised to apply for our Two-Factor Authentication (OTP - one time password) as a replacement at 02 888 8888 press 06.

What Citibank did (maybe still does)

No Citi have improved yet further and no phone call is now needed. You simply get an email confirmation code to use each time you want to set up a transfer.

I asked K-Bank why I couldn't do that also as they said international users had email option also if they didn't have roaming option for sms codes. But they said the email option requires phone call to activate per transaction and is valid 24 hours only, kind of expensive and time consuming to do a small bill payment of a few baht on their web site making an international phone call to authorize it!

Time to look for alternatives?!

Archived