Soowanapoom - x 2

Bkkbound04

I left here(suwanapoom) yesterday on TG916, got to pakiastan and we were then told there was a technical fault requiring the plane to return to BKK, arriving back 8 hours after leaving!!!

I took the option of using AOT limosine service to get to to and from Laksi rather than staying over at the local Amari Hotel, which was probabaly a good choice as some other passengers said they'd waited 3 hours to be checked in.

As Thai Airways are just giving any details other than 'technical fault' can the air industry guys give up an informed guess as to the problems that would require this sort of action?

Another thing that struck me as odd, was as we appoached BKK the pilot said he was dumping fuel, is that normal over land?

As I'd used airmiles to upgrade to Biz Class, whats the compensation I could expect to claim if any?

The flight is rescheduled to leave in 45 mins form now but as there were 400 people behind me waiting to collect passports, I doubt that!

JP

such experience sucks!

had the same on a TG flight to Hongkong on a old B747. 40 minutes after start they returned to the airport which they reached around 1h 15 after start. they also gave "technical default" as the reason, but were a bit more precise later (the elevator did not work properly). during the 30-40 minutes landing approach passengers started to scream every time there were some slight turbulences.

after 2 hours waiting they provided a new aircraft, which i think was quite a good achievement!

and yes they dump all the fuel in such cases as the airplane would be too heavy for landing.

On radio I heard in Thai people complaining about the new airport, good to hear it's not just the farangs.

Speaking of 747's, I saw on a web site yesterday 2 occassions a 747 broke the speed of sound.

Once during testing, 2nd time a Chinese Air went from 40 000 ft to 9000 ft very fast, 5 g's, and during decent broke speed of sound. Interesting they lived to tell the tale!

DOG

I always wandered about this fuel dumping, and imagined tons of kerosine falling on the ground like rain. But maybe it just evaporates before it reaches ground.

Actually, why asking, I just found the answer in wikipedia.

"Many movies and TV news stories mistakenly assume that all aircraft can dump fuel, when in fact most cannot."

"Fuel dumping is usually accomplished at a high enough altitude where the fuel will dissipate before reaching the ground."

Fuel dumping looks like this.

We did finlly leave, but later than planned as a number of passengers on the original flight did'nt return, requiring the removal of their luggage which had not been unloaded from the first flight.

I was surprised that over half the seats in biz class were empty on the original flight and they had'nt filled they up from econ.

JP

ND,

as far as the airport goes, I was dissapointed by the arrivals hall, I'm so used to that long walk in Don Muang before you hit the crowds.The current set up there is just chaotic and at some point they'll have to re-arrange it.I was disembarked and away in a metered taxi within 45 mins.

Departures was a different thing completely, I think its a great place, evrything worked smoothly, the only thing I noticed was a distinct lack of cleaners, some of the floors were filthy, glass panels hav'nt been cleaned since its opening.

Its a nuisance being sited so far away as compared to Don Muang, but overall I liked the place and hope they can sort out the operational difficulties quickly.

I think they've done a remarkable job, in London we can't even get a footbal stadium built! I believe thats due to our austratlian cousins!!

J

in London we can't even get a footbal stadium built! I believe thats due to our austratlian cousins!!

J

austratlian cousins my foot. The delays in Wembley stadium were caused by steel subcontractor Cleveland Bridge, a british company. And I lost heaps of $$$ with my Multiplex shares because of them.

Back to the topic now.

Thai does not fill up biz class from economy. i have been on flights (in particular short distance like singapore, penang, hongkong and domestic), where economy was pretty crowded and there were less than a handfull of passengers in the biz class

they only upgrade if economy is full and they have free seats in biz

Archived