soeul korea

theshaw66

Hollywood Basement Club is long gone. New owners moved in 2 to 4 years ago (it's been a while, for me). Now the place is called Spy Club. It's also called Spy Lounge. That's because it's split into a bar area and a dance area.

It's a nice place. I'm sure if you're young and good-looking you'll have no trouble picking up at Spy. Lots of Eastern European models hang out there, as well as lots of Korean poseurs, Korean 20-somethings, and Westerners of many stripes.

For some reason which I can only vaguely remember, I am not allowed back in Spy. The last time I went there, with a friend, the door man looked at me, shook an angry finger at me, and said "You! You not allowed here any more."

I think it was the three Long Island Iced Teas I drank with Wilson and Min-a. It cost me KRW 30,000 won for the drinks, but they fucked off and didn't drink theirs. So I downed them (I think), and the rest is history.

Unless you're in Itaewon ("Shitaewon") for a meal or for imported beer or to see friends, the neighbourhood's a shithole. A true shithole.

Shaw66,

Sorry, my last reply was intended for CDN.

3 Alley Pub is a western style pub in Itaewon, Seoul. The proprieter, Gunther is a German from Australia, 3 Alley serves a wide range of beers and is famous for Gunthers witty bulletin board above the pissers. Popular with both expats and locals. :beer:

I don't go into Itaewon that much any more. I prefer drinking closer to home; I don't like the weekend nighttime crowds of Itaewon; and long nights out have lost their appeal for me.

I'm not from Vancouver; I'm from Toronto.

I like 3 Alley Pub, and Gunther is a hard-assed barman who tolerates no shit in his establishment. He also closes earlier than most other places in the neighbourhood, which I like (keeps the riffraff from nosing around). Over all, a great place, and their selection of beers is better than most others in the area.

Sadly, I think the Guinness he serves is not up to speed; it's either watered down or not kept well, or something like that; I can't put my finger on it. It's just too bad that 3 Alley's goulash stew is so watery; the bar could use a good German, Czech, or Hungarian cook, I reckon!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
where is the best area to stay in for the nightlife in south korea....but not too out of the way for the airport?

What do you consider "too out of the way"? Seoul is within 1-2 hrs from the airport (depending on traffic). I am not familiar with nightlife in Incheon where the airport is located, but I acn help if your coming to Seoul! :beer:

Archived