Ear Cleaning...Anyone tried its

sakoni2002

At my age (60+)' date=' I have mild tintinitus: ringing in the ears. Ear cleaning helps reduce those symptoms.

.[/quote']

I have a mild form of tinitus too. I thought Ear cleaning would infact aggravate it, therefore, never tried it. I think I will give it a go next time and see if it improves it. Thanks for that.

I've had medium level tinnitus and, worse still, hyperacusis - a reduced threshold to noise, for 12 years now due to exposure to loud music in my yoof and beyond (I'm now nudging 40).

I'd be very weary about putting any kind of implement in my ear canal. As Yimsiam said, 'the smallest thing you should put in your ear is your elbow'.

Tried candling for ear wax removal a couple of times, on both occasions it managed to remove significant amounts of wax but on the second time it increased my tinnitus and worsened my hyperacusis, although after a month or two they did eventually recover to the levels they were prior to the candling.

Now my one and only method of wax removal is by using eardrops. I've tried almost all the brands on the market and have settled on Cerumol to do the job.

Cerumol

Now, back to the girls... :drunk:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very late post, but...the first time I had my ears cleaned was in Savanakhet, Laos, at a street side shop. The lady pulled all sorts of crap out of that ear.

About a year later, while I was in Bangkok I went to the PT2 Hospital, and had the proceedure done there. Rather than scraping the stuff out they use a small suction thing to get the stuff out. On this time I wasn't super happy with the job. It was good for a few weeks, but then it seemed to get start worse.

A few months after that I had a cleaning done here in the states. They but some moisterizer in the ear and then forced water into the ear to get the wax out. It did get the wax out, but then I think some water got deep into my ear, and that bothered me. I went back to the doctor but he didn't see any water in my ear.

Eventurally the water in the ear feeling went away, and maybe a year later I had the proceedure done again at the PT2 Hospital, but this time with a different doctor. She used the same suction machine, but did a better job than the first time I visited there. Those nurses at the ENT Dept. were pretty incredible also. The proceedure there costs 650 baht, and takes maybe 25 mintes from arrival to departure, no appt necessary.

I always get it done on my first day in BKK... usually right after checking in at the hotel. Always the same salon and always the same lady. She is very careful and cleans the instruments with alcohol before use.

I find the experience rather pleasurable and can certainly hear better afterwards.

First the hairs in the ear get clipped. Then a swab is used to apply a lightly fizzing liquid which loosens the wax. This is then scraped out with the spoon and zinged with like a tuning fork then dried out with a soft feather which is warmed by the heat of the light bulb of the lamp used to assist. Finally the ear is folded over and flicked once or twice on the outside.

Archived