Ear Cleaning...Anyone tried its

sakoni2002

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I get ear cleaning once a month; when I get a haircut.

I have been surprised at the amount of wax that comes out.

And the improvement in hearing clarity can be startling.

At my age (60+), I have mild tintinitus: ringing in the ears.

Ear cleaning helps reduce those symptoms.

Is it safe?

I wonder that, too.

Some have been gentle.

Some have been rough.

But so far, no problems at all.

I wonder, also, about cleanliness.

Barbers and salons here do not clean their tools as we Westerners might like.

So, as soon as I get back home, I rinse my ears with a mild disinfectant.

Cost 40-100 baht depending on location.

My favourite is a barber shop at On Nut station, near the Carrefour.

If you have specific questions, you are welcome to send email or a private message.

I love the ear cleaning. It is one of the things I really miss when I have to stay in my home country for any length of time.

I also wonder about the cleanliness though. The Thais seem to me to be pretty lax on sterile technique, even in hospitals. So I also rinse my ears out with a disinfectant after I get back from the barber shop.

I use a 50%/50% mixture of alcohol and white vinegar. Not a bad idea to do occasionally even if you don't get the ear cleaning. The alcohol disinfects and dries out moisture in the ear and the vinegar creates a slightly acid environment that most bugs don't like.

At my age (60+), I have mild tintinitus: ringing in the ears.

Ear cleaning helps reduce those symptoms.

I have a mild form of tinitus too. I thought Ear cleaning would infact aggravate it, therefore, never tried it. I think I will give it a go next time and see if it improves it. Thanks for that.

I tried the ear cleaning my first trip six years ago and have not done it since. Not that it was that bad or painful. My friend who was with me was wincing and kept going on about how dangerous it looked sticking that metal thing in my ear. I imagine there is a certain risk that they could injure the eardrum and in LOS there is no accountability just Mai Pen Rai.

If your comfortable with doing it fine , I decided it was just one less risk I was willing to take.

LL

I'd imagine that the course to obtain the certificate to be a master ear cleaner is pretty hard! On a related topic, I use to have a manicure and pedicure while getting a haircut on my first day while on holiday in Bangkok. I stopped when the girl who was working on my big toe made some kind of noise. I looked down and blood was coming from between the toe nail and skin. She had cut a little too deep in removing the dead skin. It bled for 3-4 days and I kept putting alcohol on it, to try to prevent an infection (although I'm sure that all the tools used had been sterlized). Fortunately, I kept the toe and do my own work on my finger and toe nails.

My personal favourite is when they get the cut throat razor out to trim your hair after the main cut....one man in Phuket almost took my ear off...god the bleeding! It was immense...the best bit was that he then offered me a facial shave...my response...

FUCK NO!

Never had the ear thing done...would like to try, i am sure i have several candles worth of wax in there...i'm just not brave, kinda like being able to hear, don't want to lose it....ho hum..

Had it once but told her to stop when i realized she was having a conversation with another girl and not really concentrating on what she was doing. Can do some serious damage if your not careful. Nowdays, no way. Just a way to fleece another 100 baht from you.

Archived