Why not to have a THAI Business Partner!

Sporty

I'm not so sure that the outcome had been different in many western countries. An employee sold motorbikes in the shop where he worked, gave receipt from the company on the money received but didn't give the money to the company (that's a fraud). The company and it's owners have a responsibility to control what happens in their shop. Later customers used authorities to get the bikes that they had paid for in that very shop. So what?

Did you even read the same thing, as the rest of us?

Police, NO ID, an employee selling bikes, after being let go, he did not own outside the shop, stealing customers property and threats to a woman and child?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not so sure that the outcome had been different in many western countries. An employee sold motorbikes in the shop where he worked, gave receipt from the company on the money received but didn't give the money to the company (that's a fraud). The company and it's owners have a responsibility to control what happens in their shop. Later customers used authorities to get the bikes that they had paid for in that very shop. So what?

In fact most of the customers did not pay for the bikes "in The shop" The ex employee advertised bikes at a very low price, when someone took the bait he would say, "well Thats sold, but if you give me a deposit I will get another for you", of course he didn't. The majority of this business ws conducted from his home.

While I must admit to not having any real dealings with the police in my home country, I really doubt wether they would perform in this way. I mean, I really doubt they would accept bribes to intimidate citizens into satisfing another person debt. I doubt wether they would suggest that your 4 year old daughter" could meet with an accident" If you don't comply.

As for "keeping an eye on business" you are correct, my problem was that I used my Western Logic to delude myself in that I thought, why would my employees kill their own future? They are paid VERY well, we have a sustainable & profitable business that will provide them with a secure future. Why would they compromise that?

Well they did, because The senior employee like many Thai's has a very limited Horizon, if the lure of immediate financial gain overcomes their limited need for security, you are fucked. So I would leave them to operate the business while I did deliveries etc (at the time) secure in this blanket of western logic.

What amazed me is that apart from one all the other employees followed him, even though he had exposed his lack of morality, even though he had proven that he had Zilcht in the way of business skills. They blindly hung onto his coat tails because he was Pii Jum. Of course he had no hestiation in dumping them when the going got rough.

The other aspect that floored me was the lack of loyalty. In business you have a the supply side, in this country generally Thai's and then of course customers, primarily Western. When things started to implode the supply side turned into a pack of snarling Piranhas. The smiling, waiing Thai man suddenly became a nasty looter. On the other hand I have had been swamped with communications and offers from supportive customers,some who I hadn't heard from for 3/4 years.

The very depressing thing, is that the my wife's first comment after meeting Jum was, "do not trust him, he's evil" This comment was echoed by wifes of other customers. But unfortunatly I chose to ignore her, basing my decision on the smiling, helpful person who he seemed to be and of course the old failing of my flawed western logic, i.e. We will both benifit from the synergies.

"keep a (close) eye on the business), it is so true.

listen to your wife/girlfriend (if you trust her):

Really good advice too, I just had a small problem in my business and luckily I listened to the advices of my girlfriend and her friends and after hiring a private investigator -> the "would be cashier" had already been caught for theft before.......

Yes the western logic does not apply in thailand.

About loyality: I feel (with my limited experience in hiring some staff) that some can really be trusted (you kept one staff all the way long) but you have to know it.

Yes, thai people do not have (most of them)what I would call "a view about their future" so they are able to fuck up everything they do at the moment for various reasons. (lack of "sanuk" in their job, short-term profits etc...)

Tha law: Not later than this week the police came in my business area to inspect all licenses etc...

Some businesses bribing them got problems

(one ever got closed) while mine went all right.

(I do not pay them and will never but I treat them with respect)

Anyway, last week I had a problem with a police officer coming from another district and luckily for me a police "friend" helped me.

Does corrupted police exist in my home country?

Yes, but nothing so obvious and of course they try to do their illegal stuff "hidden".

Here in thailand you have sometimes the feeling that the cops are of the "judge dredd" kind.

Thailand is not perfect but at least we know it and are willing to take the ristk.

I wish you good luck for your future venture.

I just tried to give a realistic perspective on the issue between customers and company. That's not TIT, in the continental law systems the outcome would be the same, police or an enforcement authority would give the property to the customers.

I did not comment on the criminal employee.

As I read it the bikes were taken NOT to go to customers of the company.

"In fact most of the customers did not pay for the bikes "in The shop" The ex employee advertised bikes at a very low price, when someone took the bait he would say, "well Thats sold, but if you give me a deposit I will get another for you", of course he didn't. The majority of this business ws conducted from his home."

a thai perspective : i think a lot of guys get burned in thailand business wise because of a little reverse racism - it's not that they think negatively about a group of people, but it's actually thinking TOO good about them! What i mean, I think a lot of westerners are so in love with the idea of thailand that they forget thai people are just as likely to be corrupt, dishonest or greedy as anyone else. And then they forget this because they assume thai people are super happy just to have a job and then fail to put reasonable things in place to make sure people CANT rip them off. I have many friends back in thailand both farang and thai, and i know from seeing them that many of the farang businessmen do things that expose them to risk of being ripped off but they assume that "khun x will not rip me off because he's a really sweet guy". Its funny it is just like sex, seems like lots of guys will do things in business in thailand they would never do in their own country. I dont know this motorbike man but seem to me like he didn't watch his money closely enough and wasnt on top of things, and he assumed his thai staff would look after everything. That's a setup for a disaster in any country!

The very depressing thing, is that the my wife's first comment after meeting Jum was, "do not trust him, he's evil" This comment was echoed by wifes of other customers. But unfortunatly I chose to ignore her, basing my decision on the smiling, helpful person who he seemed to be and of course the old failing of my flawed western logic, i.e. We will both benifit from the synergies.

One thing I learned about Thais is that their sensitivity/gut feeling is a lot more developped than we Falangs have.

Sorry for your hard learned lessons. I hope you can give them a positive spin with a new business!

Chook dii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived