Why not to have a THAI Business Partner!

Sporty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember drogon or was it buddha supposedly got the thai passport via one such 'connection' & a few other examples are listed in this thread as well.

Personally hovever I've never managed to really get much help e.g. with visas or passport, but just enjoy the occasional 'airport fast track' treatment ;)

Ciao

"In response to drogon - Why not to have a THAI Business Partner!

I love how we all have a "friend" high up in the police hierachy, anyone ever called the favour in?

DOG"

a thai perspective : i think a lot of guys get burned in thailand business wise because of a little reverse racism - it's not that they think negatively about a group of people, but it's actually thinking TOO good about them! What i mean, I think a lot of westerners are so in love with the idea of thailand that they forget thai people are just as likely to be corrupt, dishonest or greedy as anyone else. And then they forget this because they assume thai people are super happy just to have a job and then fail to put reasonable things in place to make sure people CANT rip them off. I have many friends back in thailand both farang and thai, and i know from seeing them that many of the farang businessmen do things that expose them to risk of being ripped off but they assume that "khun x will not rip me off because he's a really sweet guy". Its funny it is just like sex, seems like lots of guys will do things in business in thailand they would never do in their own country. I dont know this motorbike man but seem to me like he didn't watch his money closely enough and wasnt on top of things, and he assumed his thai staff would look after everything. That's a setup for a disaster in any country!

Jazz, You are right in that if one runs a business here with "normal" precautions and checks, as you would in the west you will come adrift, because if things go tits up you will find you have limited recourse in law. As an example, all money given to my employee was covered (I thought) by receipts, like petty cash chits, signed by him. But when I went to place a prosecution for fraud the police said insufficient evidence! to cover yourself properly you need a signed agreement for every transaction. Most of this advice from the Police is only because they are too lazy to follow it up, so when you go in there to lodge a complaint they will do all they can to disuade you from doing so. So what you need in thailand is to be super secure, you need to look at evry transaction in the context of, If it goes wrong how will I be covered ?

These sort of precautions are rarely required to this extent in developed countries. I have lodged 7 complaints at the local station, not one has been followed up. They just sit on them until they go stale unless you provide an incentive. The other aspect that needs consideration is that there is lower level honesty here. Sad to say but its true.

Even down to the UBC man, when we called them for an installation last week, he offered us a "copy" set top box with a fake card.

You have to have the decoder ring to translate what is going thru the Thai's head...

borrow something = steal, never return and this is acceptable

you have money = OK to "borrow" from you

I rent your house and never pay rent = same a "borrow"

I work for you and outright steal = same a "borrow"

I don't see this mentality changing for a long, long time. Thais think they are entitled to everything rather then working for it...IMO :cussing:

You have to have the decoder ring to translate what is going thru the Thai's head...

borrow something = steal, never return and this is acceptable

you have money = OK to "borrow" from you

I rent your house and never pay rent = same a "borrow"

I work for you and outright steal = same a "borrow"

I don't see this mentality changing for a long, long time. Thais think they are entitled to everything rather then working for it...IMO :cussing:

Not much different than a lot of people I have had to deal with the west. :p

TH

Unbelievable response! Take off the farang tinted glasses. Even though the guy painted a target on his own wife by making her legally responsible for his shady and illegal business dealings which could have ruined her and their whole family (jail time, criminal records, deportation, black listing, penalties, legal costs, loss of guardianship), the police had the compassion not to throw the book at them and gave them an easier way to mend their errors which they accepted.

I repeat rule #1: keep it legal. He regrets this aspect now and I am apalled anyone after reading this passes the buck that it wasn't his fault. He was lucky to get off easy, it could have been much worse. I wish the guy the best in the future. He seems like someone who is willing to learn and achieve.

I realise that khunsanuk has already responded to you on this but really Neo I am surprised that you can write English because you clearly can't read and understand it. I immediately read the article again after seeing your posts as I was sure I hadn't read anything about Peters illegal activities.

So he mentioned a few irregularities, which are probably very easy for local police to drum up and pin on any foreigner, and you start spewing about "his shady and illegal business dealings which could have ruined her and their whole family". Read again and then get a life.

Funny how you made no mention of the thieving, cheating Thai employee. Perhaps you need to get out of LOS for a while.

Funny how you made no mention of the thieving, cheating Thai employee. Perhaps you need to get out of LOS for a while.

You lost me there. Get out of LOS because I didn't bother to comment on every facet of this story? Makes it sound like you have a personal interest in the image of the OP. I know what I said is unpopular, but as far as I can see it is true and someone needed to say it. Some take the attitude farangs are always right and go on whining the thai's are always at fault and I don't always see it that way. But I do admit to being guilty of making my posting dagger sharp which I at times have a habit of doing.

I hate to see anyone get scammed for any reason. Scammed by the police, scammed by the employees, what have you in this case when a lot of it was avoidable. The thing is, despite these setbacks the guy still has faith in Thailand and believes he can be successful in this very same business in the future. That speaks volumes that one should find the right way of doing things and gives credence to my comments. I wish him the best, but still believe there are lessons that can be learned here if it is looked at objectively.

Funny how you made no mention of the thieving' date=' cheating Thai employee. Perhaps you need to get out of LOS for a while.[/quote']

You lost me there. Get out of LOS because I didn't bother to comment on every facet of this story?

Every facet of the story! This was the basis of the story!

Makes it sound like you have a personal interest in the image of the OP.

What does "in the image of the OP mean?

I know what I said is unpopular, but as far as I can see it is true and someone needed to say it.

Not unpopular, just crap and as it was totally absurd it didn't need to be said.

Some take the attitude farangs are always right and go on whining the thai's are always at fault and I don't always see it that way.

You clearly take the attitude that Thais are always right.

But I do admit to being guilty of making my posting dagger sharp which I at times have a habit of doing.

Dagger sharp but with no substance or logic.

...The thing is, despite these setbacks the guy still has faith in Thailand and believes he can be successful in this very same business in the future. That speaks volumes that one should find the right way of doing things and gives credence to my comments.....

Credence to your comments! You accused him of being a small time crook, when in fact his former Thai employee and the Thai police were the crooks!

It was only after reading your reply that I realised you actually do live in LOS. Obviously you have gone completely loco and believe that Thais can do no wrong.

Archived