Why not to have a THAI Business Partner!

Sporty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

What the fuck? I just read that. I do not know Peter well, but remember him to be a nice guy and he did not deserve to get screwed over like this :(

Peter, if you are reading this, I'd be happy to stick a banner on the site (for free) for a couple of months to help you get your business back on its feet.

Sanuk!

I meet him a few times , he helped me try and get a couple things made ,

Nice guy and has a cute kid that we went shopping with ,

Hate to hear of this bullshit happening ,

Not that I was ever planning on opening a business in LOS , but this would be another reason why not to,

Good luck and I hope you get back on your feet

OC

It seems common for foreigners to treat Thailand like the wild west where anything goes and they figure they can get away with winging it. Later they learn the hard way Thai's have very tough and strict laws and if in violation you are in deep trouble. While he admittedly didn't handle things right, I really liked the lessons learned section since this guy has a real chance now to be successful. No matter what you do (visa, business, or otherwise) keep it legal. I think that is rule #1 in Thailand.

yeah legal.....uhhh

the cops (thugs) show up , threaten you and your family and take your goods for themselves.

I guess my question is , would the same thing happen if a Thai owned everything , no falang involved , and his ex- worker did the same things ?

or did this happen because a falang was involved ?

OC

Unbelievable response! Take off the farang tinted glasses. Even though the guy painted a target on his own wife by making her legally responsible for his shady and illegal business dealings which could have ruined her and their whole family (jail time, criminal records, deportation, black listing, penalties, legal costs, loss of guardianship), the police had the compassion not to throw the book at them and gave them an easier way to mend their errors which they accepted.

I repeat rule #1: keep it legal. He regrets this aspect now and I am apalled anyone after reading this passes the buck that it wasn't his fault. He was lucky to get off easy, it could have been much worse. I wish the guy the best in the future. He seems like someone who is willing to learn and achieve.

Partly agree.

Of course you have to be totally legal in everything but even then I can tell you that farangs are far less favored even if their business is totaly legal.

(I just learned it by myself, luckily I know another thai who has a higher rank in the police hierarchy)

-> Get a good and reliable thai lawyer, make some good relations, respect and treat well the people who could help you one day......

Archived