How racist!

Flashermac

Long ago I knew a fella who'd be in his late 50s now: 1/2 Caucasian, 3/8 American Indian, 1/8 African American. Sort of a light tan and looking not much like any of his origins. Like you, he had a hard time. Seems like nobody wanted to accept him as one of them. He was always an outsider. Really a shame because he was a helluva nice guy, intelligent and educated too. Wonder what's become of him.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A biracial (I think that is the pc word nowadays) person who is part black and white have unique issues. Not being totally accepted by some blacks is a social thing. It doesn't affect income. I've known more than a few bi-racial people and count a few as friends growing up. Yes, they are teased growing up (and strangley enough I was teased for being too dark) but biracials who live in black neighborhoods are accepted more often than not I think. I could be wrong but its based on observations. Also, its a fairly recent phenominom that came when the '60s black power movement started. Before that bi-racials (terms such as octoroom and quadroon were used) were prized in the black community.

The american black community has accepted a lot of 'non american blacks' like latinos (east or spanish harlem), many blacks in the 1800s and 1900s were part american indian (I have an uncle who's 1/4 cherokee) and they lived in black neighborhoods as well. Caribbean and african blacks can be added to that as well.

At 'best' bi-racials would experience the same problems as blacks would in the business world but I've always thought that lighter blacks are more accepted than darker blacks generally speaking, all things being equal and that 'edge' also applied to bi-racial people as well. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption.

Flash, we had two white families in our neighborhood. One guy was born and raised there and he was for all intent and purposes black american culturally (even though we had a fair number of puerto ricans and dominicans as well). If you heard him on the phone you'd think he was black american from the 'hood so to speak. Was totally accepted and married a black girl from the neighborhood.

In another post a few months ago I did a trip report on Cambodia and spoke of a Cambodian deportee that was the same. He acted and sounded (and was) a Long Beach member of the crips and soundd totally black american. Left Cambo at 7 months old.

Steve i cant leave you on here fighting this battle by yourself bro.....

i myself have had racial incident's happen to me for no reason at all and as recent as 4 months ago,and i am one of the nicest men you'll ever wanna know.I treat people with love and respect, i'm kind and giving ,i work hard and i like to make people laugh...but with all which that i am, some cant and wont dare to see past my brown skin....and that's sad.

Sure there's reverse racism, and no i don't think any kinda racism is OK ,but as far as blacks having it in for white folks i think most people understand where that would come from. Most opportunities come to blacks through the mercy of white folks and most of us have to jump through hoops to get those opportunities...but like i said before some white folks are genuine, fair and good hearted and i myself have great friends that are white(and i hate to have to break it down like that cause i dont care what color you are as long as we respect each other)who are the nicest people ever .but for every one that's genuine kind and fair ,there's gonna be 5 that aren't and dont wanna see us move ahead for anything...and those are the one's that make black people Leary and untrusting of some white people in our society...

so i dont know what it was like to be a beaten slave....but i do know what it's like to still be perceived as one in a white mans eye's and to still be called the things that they were called back then as well.

Most white people have no sympathy or empathy for the black mans struggles because they have not or never will have to face harsh racism (and i'm not just talking about getting a job over a white guy), but just being born into a stereotype....

but let me say this too....it's also because of some white folks that we are free like we are today...there were white people that marched with DR KING that i'm sure caught hell from other white people....i think god for those folks back then and the ones that see racism as being wrong today....it is so silly to me and i dont think i'll ever understand how darker skin can make you less of a human being in one's eye's.....

and by the way i'm from the hood so to speak(baltimore) and i can tell you that mixed races have always been excepted ...and when i was growing up the mixed looking boy's and girls got all the love....lol...not so now

chocolat steve

You were close to understanding my point, then you went right back to focusing only on blacks vs whites. While I understand that is what you have experience in, I don't feel it's right to fight against discrimination of blacks while discriminating against other minorities. Everytime you say that your experiences are worse or you are under more hostile conditions you downplay the discriminations against other minorities.

If you want a politically correct term then bi-racial does not cut it. I am not mixed with 2 races, I am more.

I'm not trying to argue an issue of black and white here with you. I'm trying to point out how this thread seems to be for a lack of better term "taken over" by how blacks are discriminated against when it should be pointed toward minorities in general. Most people won't say anything in return because of the constant social pressure to be "politically correct" which means disagreeing in a case such as this causes you to be viewed instantly as racist.

Also there is quite a big difference to growining up with other races and how you interact in general with other races, and how they interact with you.

"i cant leave you on here fighting this battle by yourself bro....."

There is no battle shaw on this thread shaw, you are taking this way out of proportion. Please read what I wrote. (Or am I being singled out as being white because I said I was 1/4th white?)

BTW please don't mistake being considered exotic with being accepted(as a mixed person). Those 2 are completely different.

________

Maybe I'm missing something in the thread but the original thread wasn't a white vs black issue, it was a jab at affirmative action that is supposed to help minorities?

If you take a look at a census:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/img/cb04-98-table1.pdf

You'll find that there are more then black and white listed.

On a side note it would be interesting to know what the 3 or more races figure would look like.

"i cant leave you on here fighting this battle by yourself bro....."

What i meant by that statement is that i wasn't gonna let him be the only one to speak on this manner....

There is no battle shaw on this thread shaw, you are taking this way out of proportion. Please read what I wrote. (Or am I being singled out as being white because I said I was 1/4th white?)

You Are Right ..there is no battle on this thread,i'm just exspessing my view's on the topic.And i didn't know you were 1/4 white untill you said it with this statement..(i must have missed that before)...

BTW please don't mistake being considered exotic with being accepted(as a mixed person). Those 2 are completely different.

I Dont Recall saying anything about anyone being exotic...________

Maybe I'm missing something in the thread but the original thread wasn't a white vs black issue, it was a jab at affirmative action that is supposed to help minorities?

i was speaking for myself and other black people like me ...i cant speak for others when it comes to this topic

but i'll just end this by saying things will chance when we are all seen as equals,but only then...

I'll just say that things are a helluva lot better in the States than when I was a kid. I can remember those seperate restrooms, drinking fountains, waiting rooms, restaurants, segregated schools, universities etc. The US still has a long way to go, but it has also come a long way.

One day I heard my dad telling my nephew about how things were back in the 1930s and '40s. My nephew said, "Gee, grandpa, that's hard to believe." I take that as a good sign.

Affirmative Action covers women, the phsyically handicapped, as well as ethnicity or race but I think you're being intellectually dishonest if the term doesn't first conjure up preferences for blacks primarily. When people speak out against it, would you agree its primarily meant about blacks primarily? The first thing the vast majority of those who read that article would first see that as a protest against black preferences primarily. Would you agree? Also, that the extent of the historical discrimination (and blacks being primarily the only ones enslaved)was worse than any other group save possibly the native americans to some, which makes the issue a more sensitive one than discrimination against women or the obese.

The need for it varies amongst blacks from the very pro to against like economist Thomas Sowell and supreme court justice Thomas. Being a very proud person, a bit too much sometimes.

All discrimination is bad and it seems you equate being 'multi-racial' (is that better? I don't mean to offend if it isn't) discrimination with black discrimination on the same terms and such is your right. Others disagree. I think it depends sometimes on how the person looks. I have a friend who is part black, part latino and he's oft mistaken for either being in Italian, Arab, Spanish (from Spain), etc. because of his complexion. Most wait to hear his last name before trying to figure out exactly 'what' he is. His plight is more of a social one. He considers himself black (being raised in Compton, Ca) but has told me stories of his being considered as an ethnic white in one job and hearing things said about blacks.

Everyone has a cross to bear, even the wasp white guy. There are also those that truly see blacks, whites, latinos, etc. as equal but are against Affirmative Action. I had a boss who hired plenty of gays, blacks, women, etc. into management, more than other execs at a company I worked for but was a staunch, republican who was against AA in principle.

Flashermac, I also agree that massive strides have been made. Its night and day, no pun intended, from my parents youth. I think not enough credit has been made by some who profit off actual or perceived cases of racism

and conversely, I think there are some who see the great strides taken and are a bit naive about the remnants of it in society which are more subtle than the past. Its a grey area. Its an uncomfortable subject but discussions like these are needed at times if for nothing else, to remind us.

I consider myself very fortunate in that neither of my parents was a racist. My dad was a southerner, but had also been raised to regard people as just people. He was a top level aerospace engineer and some of his engineers and technicians were black. They used to come to our house from time to time, and it surprised the hell out of us when one of our neighbours in California refused to speak to us because of that! Craziest thing was that she herself was a "black Portugee" -- Portuguese ancestory from the Azores Island. She was almost as dark as they were. :dunno:

I can't really understand racists. People come in all shapes, sizes and colours, and they worship God in different ways or not at all. But what's that got to do with being "better" or "worse" than anyone else?

Racism unfortunately seems endemic to the world. Plenty of Asians look down on a dark skin, whether the origin is Africa, India or Surin.

Archived