Korat-Photo Report

Old Hippie

Last Tuesday, November 28th, 2549 (?) at 06:30, Mrs. Hippie #2 and I loaded up her new Honda Civic, and headed to Korat for the day. She drove us out of Bangkok, then pulled over and told me to drive "...just follow the signs for Nakhon Ratchasima, when you see the big lake on your left, head to Khon Kaen, if the police stop you, pay them 200 bhat ..." or something like that, and went to sleep. I have little driving experience in Thailand, but it was easy enough on the highway. I drove until I saw this...

Korat12007-11-27_18-44-19-a.jpg

A bit further, I saw the lake, and woke her up to ask further directions, as there were 2 ways to Khon Kaen. "...No, I said the BIG LAKE, this is the small lake..." a bit further, I saw the big lake, and the road, and made the left. we were headed to Wat Ban Rai, home of the noted Venerable Monk Lum Phra Kroon. We found our way to the temple, where Mrs. Hippie #2's sister used to work. LPK had set up a technical school nearby, her sister is a teacher there. Here's the temple entrance...

Korat32007-11-27_21-04-17-a.jpg

and the temple...

Korat22007-11-27_20-59-07-a.jpg

And the hall where LPK usually holds his audiences...

Korat52007-11-27_20-14-30-a.jpg

This is LPK...well a statue of him any way...

Korat72007-11-27_20-16-52-a.jpg

We did not get to see LPK, he is old and sick, and his appearances are not that frequent. But we were told he usually comes out between 11 and 13:00...here is a picture of his chair...

Korat92007-11-27_20-45-08-a.jpg

One of the interesting things about this Wat is that LPK is said to have special "powers" (more on this later) and so here we see a follower of sorts beating a woman with one of KPK's robes rolled up. He then basically gave here a Chiropractic type adjustment, and she said she felt better. The beating on my knotted shoulder seemed to help. Here is the woman getting treatment...

Korat162007-11-27_20-43-45-a.jpg

We looked around a bit, fed the fish, got some holy water from the well...before heading back out...Mrs Hippie #2 getting the holy water...

Korat62007-11-27_20-17-30-a.jpg

We drove awhile longe and then stopped for lunch, Gai Yang Issaarn Style, Som Tom and Kow Noew...here is the Som Tom...

Korat152007-11-27_23-04-44-a.jpg

The food was Aroi Mak, and the garden type restaurant, full of orchids...

Korat172007-11-27_23-50-17-a.jpg

We got back in the car and drove more, until we Stopped to look at this Wat, who's name I forget, being built by some actor, who's name I also forget...cost is said to be 20 Million Bhat!

Korat42007-11-27_22-05-25-a.jpg

Eventually, we arrived at...

Korat102007-11-28_00-45-14-a.jpg

A beautiful Khmer ruin ...

Korat142007-11-28_00-59-05-a.jpg

Korat132007-11-28_00-56-35-a.jpg

Korat122007-11-28_00-56-29-a.jpg

Korat112007-11-28_00-51-35-a.jpg

We walked around for awhile, relaxed a bit, got a good stretch out, then back in the car for the long (5 hour) ride home. Along the way, Mrs Hippie #2 finally told me the reason we were almost killed was I was driving in the fast lane going way too slow (90KMPH) so I move over, and sped up where needed. Driving in Thailand is fun, and a good way to see the remote sights. We got back into Bangkok, the guys at the hotel cheered when they saw me drive up, and began passing money around. Apparently some had bet me to crash her new car. Others bet I wouldn't, thanks to those who bet with me. :)

Mrs. Hippie #2 was tired, so she took a shower, and went to sleep I went off to Soi Cowboy to visit another famous place with the company of a Buri Ram Beauty...

Korat2007-11-26_05-14-33-a.jpg

All in all, the Run to Prassaart Hin Pimai is doable in a day, but I would suggest taking longer, waiting to see the Monk if he is there, and also taking in the other Prassaarts in the area, and the other sights as well, such as Khao Yai National park. A lot to see in Korat, the Gateway to Issaarn! Go and enjoy, I did!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to add a funny story about Lum Phra Koon. Basically, a guy had all the "magical/protective" images of LPK and amulets etc in his car. The guy crashed his car in a terrible high speed accident. He went back to LPK and asked "...why didn't Bhudda protect me...?" LPK is said to have replied "...Bhudda jumped out when you hit 120kph..!" Basic idea is Amulets are fine, but we protect our selves through our own actions.

OH, nothing less than I expected - very good report and even better pics (poor me in the photo contests starting tomorrow?)

Phil, that would be as diplomatic as speak about a german royal family with the name Battenberg ruling over some foggy islands in the Atlantic if you visit those islands. :cool:

Nice report, OH.

I remember being in Angkor Wat one day and a TG was there with her boyfriend/hubbie/whatever.

Standing out the front of the main enterance to Angkor Wat, the farang said:

"Wow - that's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!"

TG replies with a shrug: "No... Better temple in Thailand... And Ankgor Wat really built by Thai people." :banghead::doah:

Nice pix , OH, although the one but last Pimai pic could do with some horizon straightening. Oops, sorry, that's nit picking.

I went to Pimai at least a couple of times, and always enjoy it.

I also recognise your tactic of jampacking things in a day in such a way that the Mrs arrives back so exhausted she wants to go to sleep. Good opportunity to go and enjoy a Buriram Beauty.

Just stay away from the Sisaket beauties, though.

I have learned that tactic, by taking her shopping all day until she drops, and when at 9.30 after dinner I suggest "go for a massage" it is "no thanks dear, to tired, but you go have one if you want"

BTW, is Mrs Hippie # 2 the one from Udon?

Now tell me, why do you go to Asoke Place 21, when you could go to the much nicer Penny Black?

How much are the ST rooms at Penny Black?

I have been to Asoke and its a bit of a dump. But at least they don't rush you for time there - I've never had a knock on the door to hurry up. (Maybe I'm just too quick!)

Is there a problem getting a room for an ST at Penny Black, or do they have quite a few?

"...Nice pix , OH, although the one but last Pimai pic could do with some horizon straightening. Oops, sorry, that's nit picking..."

Look at the trees, and the path up to the temple are flat, the ground curves, I, as an artist, an award winning professional photo journalist, was able to execute precise technique to capture this curve and add a special texture/feel to the photo...er yeah, that's it...

"...Good opportunity to go and enjoy a Buriram Beauty.

Just stay away from the Sisaket beauties, though..."

Good advice! :) I'll most likely ignore it, but good advice... :) Actually, I saw SSG for the first time in a year this last trip. Pleased with how she seems to be turning her life. Still wouldn't mind "...just one last boink..." But well, best we stay/part friends, and it seems we have/will/are...

"...BTW, is Mrs Hippie # 2 the one from Udon?..."

No, Ubon Ratchathani. The Udorn girl was given the sack, when she became to pushy...Mrs. Hippie #2 replaces Mrs. Hippie #1 who is from Roi Et, currently in UK on "assignment." #2 has a car, decent job, and a Uni education, speaks near perfect English.

"...Now tell me, why do you go to Asoke Place 21, when you could go to the much nicer Penny Black..."

Both are sort of dumps...not sure on the price, but either one is o.k. to me...maybe the twangy sound of country western music is good to boink to? :)

Guest lazyphil

<>

Yes we all know this!!. In fact xmas eve I'm taking my mum and mrs to sandringham in norfolk, one of the queens homes where she and her kraut family stay and mingle with us peasants every xmas eve, mulled wine is served i think!.......

Archived