Where to buy Thai language books, study guides etc.

rvaccha

Hi,

I am in Bangkok for a few days. I am currently studying Thai in USA. I want to pick up some learning tools, in particular the alphabet chart. I was told there is a big chart available which shows all the alphabets.

Do you know where I can get this from?

Also, any other study tools that you can suggest (serious only please, since this is for a University language department)

Thanks,

RJ

for thai learning materials geared toward farangs, any Asia Books or Bookazine will do fine, they're all over the farang-oriented areas of the city.

for alphabet charts (and illustrated books) and the like (stuff geared toward thai children), for rock-bottom prices, there's a government school supply store on Rama I, just take the skytrain to the end at national stadium stop, take the forward-most left-hand exit, and after you walk past the national stadium, you'll see it on your left.

preahko

Virtually any discount book vendor in a Thai dept store will have the Thai alphabet charts, probably several varieties of them. Framed, they would look quite nice on a wall and are useful as well.

The Rosetta Stone CD series is good for reading and listening practice - nice supplemental material to a course. There is also an Australian National University CD for learning to read Thai. The original is damned expensive, but you can find pirated copies in Panthip Plaza and similar places for just 100 baht.

Also, for fairly advanced students the Thai karaoke CDs can be useful. Not only do you hear the Thai, but you see it written in Thai (and some rather inaccurate "phonetics") at the bottom of the screen. Pick CDs with some fairly slow pop music -- or maw-lahm "country music" for some cross cultural learning.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt replies. I am currently staying in Sukhumvit SOI 2, near NANA Plaza.

Thus if someone can guide me to the closest stores, especially for the Thai Alphabet and Vowel charts I would appreciate it.

I am not too familiar with Bangkok, but have taken the Skytrain to MBK several times.

Are the stores near the National Stadium close to MBK?

Thanks,

RJ

National Stadium is Next to MBK

Nearest to you would be B2S bookstore top floor of Central Chidlom.

I remember a few years ago when we got the Alphbet Chart and the text book for learning Thai and the sales assistant said to the wife "would you like to also get some in English to teach your child" to which the wife replied "My Child has been speaking English for 40 years now"

Hi,

Mekong...you sure are a grown up child!

Do you think its easier to get it from Central Chidlom or should I go to the stores near National Stadium.

Any idea of what directions to ask for if I get lost near the National Stadium...i.e. does anyone have more info on the address of the Govt. bookstore or any others.

I am really excited by this opportunity to learn more Thai!

Thanks,

RJ

Hi,

Mekong...you sure are a grown up child!

Do you think its easier to get it from Central Chidlom or should I go to the stores near National Stadium.

Any idea of what directions to ask for if I get lost near the National Stadium...i.e. does anyone have more info on the address of the Govt. bookstore or any others.

I am really excited by this opportunity to learn more Thai!

Thanks,

RJ

there's a government school supply store on Rama I, just take the skytrain to the end at national stadium stop, take the forward-most left-hand exit, and after you walk past the national stadium, you'll see it on your left.

preahko

I don't think I could make the directions any clearer than that...it's just a little past national stadium, which is just past MBK on the same side of Rama I. you're not going to get lost.

preako

...or go to Democracy monument, then face the Macdonald's and look to the left, the big building it the School supply store...near Khao Sarn Road as well. Not sure if Robinson's upstairs would have them or not...there is one on Soi 19 Sukhumvit, on the way to Soi Cowboy. Oh...almost forgot, some of the guys walking around selling the posters and maps of Thailand will have them as well, usually walking around Soi 7 food court and such. Get a Vowel chart as well.

Archived