US intel listened to Princess Diana's calls before crash: report

elef

The Nation

Today

Link

US intelligence listened to Princess Diana's calls before crash: report

LONDON - US intelligence listened to Princess Diana's telephone calls without British approval on the night she died in a Paris car accident, The Observer said Sunday, citing findings of a long-awaited report.

The surveillance arm of the US government admitted to Lord John Stevens, who led an independent probe that confirms the crash was an accident, that it had listened to her conversations while she stayed at the Ritz Hotel, it said.

It failed to notify MI6, Britain's overseas intelligence agency, the weekly said, adding the issue will raise new questions about trans-Atlantic agreements on intelligence sharing.

Stevens was apparently assured that the 39 classified documents concerning her final conversations did not contain material that might help explain her death, The Observer said.

No explanation for the alleged eavesdropping was given.

Norman Baker, a member of parliament for the opposition Liberal Democrat party, was concerned about the news report when questioned by The Independent on Sunday.

"There have been rumours that Princess Diana was being bugged by the Americans, so I am not entirely surprised," he told the weekly.

"But it is a major constitutional issue. The question is whether the Americans were doing it themselves or the British government had outsourced it to the Americans to achieve deniability."

Diana, 36, her boyfriend Dodi Fayed, 42, and their chauffeur Henri Paul, 41, were killed in a car crash in a Paris underpass in the early hours of August 31, 1997. Bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones survived.

The upshot of Lord Stevens' report, due to be published Thursday, is that the crash occurred because Paul was driving too fast while under the influence of alcohol, The Observer said, refuting theories of a murder plot.

Agence France-Presse

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Hmm, didn't know she had a boyfriend. Makes you wonder, eh? She has a boyfriend yet is still loved by the public, Clinton has an affair and is thoroughly nailed over it by the public.

What happened to 'What's good for the goose, is good for the gander'?

Sanuk!

PS Had to shorten the title of the original post in order to make a reply.

I think that if us Yanks and the Brits knew the shit our governments are doing in the name of national security be would be shocked,

There does not seem to be a limit any more what is out of bounds,

But I think they both have information overload ,

they are spying , phone tapping , profiling so many people that they cannot get a real picture of who the "enemy " is ,

This makes it worse because then we are all the emeny , just like Eastern Europe and the bad days of the KGB and the Stasi

Ohh well , I guess there is really no reason to be paranoid :)

OC

Hiding in my fall out shelter

"But it is a major constitutional issue. The question is whether the Americans were doing it themselves or the British government had outsourced it to the Americans to achieve deniability."

Didn't Dodi Fayed's father suggest that the British Royal Family might be behind Diana's death?

<< Clinton has an affair and is thoroughly nailed over it by the public. >>

Clinton was nailed for lying. Diana was openly living with Dodi Fayed. If Clinton had simply said, "Yeah, you caught me. I did it and I'm sorry," that would have been the end of it. But that's not his nature.

Also, the rules seem to have changed. The press protected JFK for his many affairs. Nowadays, they go after politicians. Sort of the scandal rag effect.

p.s. I remember my mother coming out with something very untypical for her, which quite surprised me. After watching the news of Diana's death, she said: "If she hadn't been whoring around, it wouldn't have happened."

Didn't Dodi Fayed's father suggest that the British Royal Family might be behind Diana's death?

Mo Fayed likes to claim the royals did in Diana to keep her from marrying his son, a Muslim. However, others have said that Diana was upset because Dodi told her he had no intention of marrying her.

:dunno:

Oh my god, this actually seems to be true, i saw it on many newspaper sites.

If I am a driver of the Princess Of Wales and the son of one of the richest men in England, I would be for sure shitfaced in the morning! :confused:

It is so simple that it can't be true. The accident happenend in a tunnel without surveillance and in a tunnel you can't get any satellite surveillance either. The driver was blamed because he is the only "no name" of all people who are involved. Hence the guy is driving two extremely important people, this guy doesn't crash even when he drinks 1 liter Whiskey! What you think how many people did apply for this job?

Why does the CIA spying on Diana? For what reason? None of them was a threat to anyone.

In the report which will be released on thursday are 39 pages Top Secret Mohammed Al Fayed, the father of Dodi is trying to get hold of these 39 pages without success. He is the father, he has the right to know!

If it was an acciedent caused by alcohol abuse then there is absolutely nothing to hide, why holding back 39 pages??? Whoever believes the OFFICIAL story needs a reality check!

Archived