3 Months After Coup, Thailand's Future; Facts

Mentors

Good articles, thanks, but what is going to happen? The current situation is clearly highly unacceptable...so what's next? I doubt a 'peoples uprising' is going to happen anytime soon, so the military will continue to call the shots...so to speak...

zombie,

Hard to say what will happen in the very short term, but if modern Thai history teaches anything, it seems clear that in the longer term there will be more four-year (on average) cycles of constitutions and coups! 17 constitutions and 18 coups in 74 years - we're due for a constitution within the next one-two years, and a coup in about four! (I know it seems a cynical prediction, but if you flipped a coin not once, not twice, but 18 times in a row and it came up heads every time, you'd probably bet on heads - the smart money might guess there was something about the coin...

YimSiam

Is it though?: And is the situation really as stated 'unacceptable'? I haven't yet read the source articles, just going on my Thai colleagues complete and utter disinterest (possibly resignation, one never can tell)andmy own reading of the English language dailies (Yep - I know) but thus far there is light being shed on the Thaksin administrations so-called 'war' on drigs and the attendant extra-judiciary killings; a fresh approach to the problems in the south. Anyway - Thaksin was a tool.

Archived