Creating an intranet site?

JCK

Some of you guys have good websites so perhaps can help please. I am a computer luddite. My company has asked me to create a company intranet site. Jeez I don't know the first thing....

Where do I start? Is there a recommended book or software available please?

This is a VERY broad question. What is the objective? What kind of equipment (nt server?) is already available. What kind of information would you like to publish? Is there any information in databases in your company that you would like to use? From where will the information be delivered and accessed? Too much freaking questions....

I can help you set up a plan for this will all info. PM me if interested...

Believe me, I do not think you can just start and set up a website, whether intranet or internet, without taking some preliminary steps and learn how to do it. So, unless you have the time to learn it and start working on it slowly, you would be better off contacting someone to do it for you. If you do it yourself, you will at first be very impressed with what you did, but then soon realize it is not up to a lot of standards. Kind of strange for your company to ask you to do this, if you did not have prior experience. It probably means they do not have a clue about this. Depending on what you are looking for, I might also be able to help as some other people I am sure on this board.

LOL – OK, I get today’s goofy “I’m coming to Thailand – where do I go?” vague question award. blush.gif" border="0

Thanks for the replies folks. I volunteered to do an informal and basic fun/leisure type web page for use in my company (about 800 people). I know it won’t be easy but well if I at least attempt it, it will be good experience for the future. To blatantly copy words from Stickman’s site, “Make sure that whatever you are doing in Bangkok, you are constantly moving forward in life”.

So, I intend to learn how to do this myself as my company will support me (maybe). There is an EDP department but they scare the hell out of me and usually break things. I would appreciate help of course. Whilst I am gathering info, are there any internet sites or books that may help?

You are much better off hiring or consulting with someone expierenced in this. It would take you a considerable investment in time to put together anything decent.

Two names come to mind from this board who seem to be very good in that field...Wild Alaska and Db Sez Aloha

This is a pretty big task to take on.

First question to ask is if it's okay for the public to access the information. If that is so, then things are much simpler. Just need to go into web page design and get someone to host your data.

If indeed what you want is an intranet, then it gets a bit tougher. What happens is that you setup an internet server on your private network. It operates like an internet site and you are not necessarily connected to the internet. The importance of the data and whether you want to have this accessible to your private employees though the internet will determine your server configuration. After putting up the server, then you need to design the web pages and place them on the server. If you are going to have access to the internet, you need to think about firewalls, security, encryption, and all those fun things! Right now, I assume the idea is a really remedial data storage system where you have static text pages or limited dynamic interaction. If you really want your web page to interact dynamically with a database then it really does become a very big issue.

<<burp>>

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: gummigut ]

Creating an internet/intranet site is pretty easy these days.

All you need is a copy of Microsoft Frontpage (it comes with MS Office). This will take you through all the steps to creating your site. As a complete newby it'll probably take you about a couple of days.

After that you need a web host. There are dozens around. Do a search on Google for 'web hosting'. It'll cost you around $60 pa. Eventually you may need your own server but worry about that later.

The whole exercise will take you around 3 days.

There are any number of books that will help get you started

Snake Head's comments on MS Frontpage are right on target. If your company already as a LAN/WAN using NT then you do not need to worry about web hosting. Get your IT dept to setup a server with IIS and just connect FrontPage to it. For basic static pages it is easy once you get started.

There are a number of serious security issues that will need to be addressed if your company has a connection to the Internet. If there is no external connection, then security becomes much easier.

I'm a techie too. I've created, or consulted on, a number of such projects and I guess you'll find no trouble finding technical help on this board.

However, amongst all this technical shabazz, you have to remember that the most important part of the site is the usefulness of the information it contains. I've often been in the position where a company vaguely wants an Intranet, but doesn't know what for, offers no assistance, yet expects a programmer to magically produce "an Intranet". Such projects are doomed to failure.

A successful Intranet requires the willing partipance of the rest of your company. Often, an individual "sponsor" at board-level is employed to ensure the project is publicised and supported by all departments. The sponsor will consult within the organisation to root out information with a wide potential audience and to secure the agreement of those who produce it to use his cheaper and faster means of publication and to keep updating it.

In other words, you put yourself/your team about the company, find out about every mysterious nook and cranny and get everyone involved.

Popular "early wins" include company staff directory (easily updateable), newsletters and a suggestions section...but you'll know your company better than me.

Archived