Warnings to accompany TV sex and violence

limbo

Warnings to accompany TV sex and violence

rape and violent scenes on television will soon carry warnings that "this action is illegal and punishable" in order to discourage audiences, especially children and youths, copying it in real life.

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry working team promoting constructive media for children and family proposed the idea.

It will be added to the text identifying the suitable viewing age for a programme.

The age recommendations have been made since December 1 last year.

Women's Affairs and Family Development Office director Suwit Kuntaroj told a meeting of officials and 50 media members yesterday that a recent survey had found 73.2 per cent of people felt most soap operas did not appropriately raise public awareness of the impact of domestic violence on children and women. However, Channel 7's "Sai Nam Sam Chivit" drama was one that did raise such awareness, he added.

The survey of 1,899 people of all ages found more than 53 per cent thought local television dramas appropriately promoted the role of women and men and gender equality.

Slightly less than half, 41.4 per cent, said no soap appropriately portrayed a family's love and understanding in solving problems without violence.

Friends of Women Foundation head and working-team member Supensri Puengkoaksoong said many television soaps and ads were found to trigger violence.

"Thai soaps especially have violent scenes that result in young audiences copying the actions," Supensri said.

She will ask the Women's Affairs and Family Development Office to have film and drama producers attach the warning message to all scenes of sexual assault, physical assault and other violence.

Scenes showing men with mistresses, gambling and drinking alcohol will carry the message these actions are either "punishable by law" or "against good morality".

She said scantily clad television hosts, actors, ad-presenters, singers and dancers prompted teenagers to wear similar clothing, resulting in sex crimes.

Puangchompoo Prasert

The Nation 20/01/07

"Slightly less than half, 41.4 per cent, said no soap appropriately portrayed a family's love and understanding in solving problems without violence."

I've yet to see an episode of a Thai soapy where someone's wife/girlfriend didn't get a crack in the chops from a guy at least once. Perhaps this is considered a normal part of Thai domestic life? I know that my wife's family consider us unusual because we never argue, let alone resort to violence.

There's sex on Thai TV??? Did i miss it...damnit!

KS, fully agree...it's the men or lesbians (not all, but some, i've seen some Thai 'butch' types getting over zealous with 'femmes' a few times!) that need the educating....same old, same old, repress the ladies, avoid responsibility for the men...and thereby create a situation/issue, that really shouldn't be there....Psychology 101, the more you control and therefore repress/suppress, the more you create disturbance. Individual responsibility is the only way, it's just such a shame that people in power don't want the great unwashed being responsible, otherwise they'd lose the control they so enjoy. Anyway i digress again...

Archived