Legal action...stupid idea?

junglesoup

I didnt really know where to post this. I m not in Thailand now, however my girlfriend( more friend now) lives in Bangkok, with her mum.

My girl friend moved into a studio by herself now. I had bought a duvet cover from Emporium, bedset thing. A fairly good one. Cost about 4000baht. SInce I m not there now I gave it to her.

My girlfriend took it too the laundry in her apartment and when she picked it up it was bleached white and all the colours had run and it was fucked more or less.

She was angry and asked that they replace...you guessed it, they refused. No surprise there. Her mum and her went to the police and told them. The police spoke to them, and they were going to pay something when the policeman said that they can t make you pay it. And that to make them pay it would need to go to court.

Is there a small claims court in Thailand. I know its not worth the hassle. But these laundry owners were shouting at her and her mum and being basically nasty bastards and said it aint their problem.

I guess theres nothing you can do. But you know what it would be nearly worth taking them to court just so they have to pay but more on principle and to inconvenience them

ANy idea how much it would cost, do thais have small claims court or legal aid?

I m clutching at straws here...? Maybe?...

cheers

Chris

I'd say cut your losses, I can't imagine the police advising them not to pay. My wife's niece boyfriend was in a bike accident, would you believe a copper from another village hit him in his car, and our village police still negotiated a settlement for repairs and doctor's bills.

Also the laundry shop owner will probably claim that they washed according to instructions on the bedset, so must involving expert witnesses - how to find such, maybe also the company making the bedset - from which country? China?

cheers fellas, i ll probably not do a thing, just was curious to see what was possible. and it was the principle of it all. Seems a bit surreal going to court about a bed sheet, LOL. I ll leave it up to the wee girl.

Mate, if I went to court every time I suffered a "ruined bed sheet" in LOS, I'd be living at the lawyer's office!

:grinyes: :grin: :grin: :grinyes:

Archived