Thai360 Book Club

Nervous_Dog

Alright boys and girls and Flash,

This can be the first book of the Thai360 Book Club. DONT VOTE, Read this and thik CAREFULLY about what you'll vote for!

I am writing up in a poll the books all nominated so far as favourites.

We take a vote, RE READ them (and that is important, I re read a lot, and find things change over time)

Then in a month we'll discuss the book here, err the most popular book that is!

Now before you do something silly like voting remember you have to FIND the book in question, one of mine, MERLIN by Robery Nye, is almost impossible to find, and Neville Shute, a famious Asia Man is also hard to find, so I have deleted them from the poll, also we can only vote for 25 books intotal (Limit of the system) so I've sadly culled some that no one could name either a book or a author.

I've also culled Bangkok Books, for the same reason, next month can be a bangkok theme if this works, as well as some other titles, SORRY but we can only nominate 25 at a time, so the first one's listed get to vote, the others will carry over till next month! Where multiple authors occured I deleted the nominations after the first one!

If your book is listed and yoo want to talk about it (For example the Neville Shute book is about a bloke trying to make a living in S E Asia in the 40's!) TELL US!

Vote for 3 books, so we have a spreed, after 5 days we'll start to read them and on the 1st of March DISCUSS! This Poll ends 1 Feb!

DOG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm ... I love Guenther Grass, love Tolkien, enjoyed Huck Finn (except for the foolish part), worship Steppenwolf (and Siddhartha), was disappointed by Dune, thought Sahara was fun and feel that Michener is greatly overrated.

Other than that, I've got some reading to do ... :(

p.s. Nothing by Truman Capote?

I threw Michener into the pot to test reactions Flash. It became extremely fashionable to sneer at him as his later work turned into over worked documentary type stuff.

After WW2 a lot of guys came home and started writing, Mailer, James Jones.. probably the best of them all, and Michener has to be included. Tales of the South Pacific was a superb story of the war in the Pacific and no young man read it in the sixties without a life long urge to see exotic tropical places and the unjudgmental young women who lived there. Caravans ofcourse predicted disaster for any Western incursion into Afghanistan, definitely a load of rubbish.

shit sorry, I spell checked it and fuckdedd up there!

Steppenwolf had 3 different nomination, but only 25 questions is the limit to the poll so first come first served.

Orwel was mentioned, as otherr good writers, but no book named, so left him out as well, as . . . 25 names only :(

Any one interested in us all choosing the top book and reading then discussing ti?

DOG

I note there is no Leon Uris (of course you Palestinian apologists will have a problem with this), Kurt Vonnegut, or John Irving on the list.

Despite his overwhelming popularity, I would have to say that Stephen King's "The Stand" is one of the best pure good vs. evil stories.

Also Tom Clancyâ??s "Red Storm Rising" started a whole genre of novels. And it was not Jack Ryan novel (a plus for sure).

I voted for Larry McMurtry, as that is one of the great stories (next to The Stand)

TH

I mentioned King in the original thread and The Stand is certainly worthy of discussion. It was one of those books that kept me up all night when I first read it. I like Irwin a lot, The World According to Garp is another American classic.

I was a great Uris fan as a kid but....err, yeah well. Never been a Clancy fan, just personal taste there as I usually enjoy that genre. Vonnegut probably opened my eyes in many ways when i first started reading him.

Early Michener WAS good ... especially The Bridges at Toko Ri. But he degenerated into a hack. I lived in Colorado and can name almost every event of his "history" -- which was truth completely screwed up. He had a large group of young folks compiling facts for him, which he then played around with. It could have been done as well by a computer. I call Michener America's greatest hack writer. Still, he made a fortune doing it.

I liked James Jones when I began reading him, since his descriptions of the GIs in New Guinea were almost identical to the GIs in Vietnam. I felt like I could have been there in PNG with them. But then he started writing biographies of the characters and bored the sh*t out of me. He should have stayed with the plot line and cut the padding.

p.s. Speaking of folks named James, how about James Joyce?

Archived