Brit passport may not get you in to USA

Bangkoktraveler

IRIS KICKED OFF US FLIGHT FOR BEING BRIT 'SUBJECT'

AN Irish gran was turned away from a flight to America despite having a British passport.

Iris Dougans, 58, was sent home because her passport classed her as a subject - not a citizen.

Although Iris has lived in Scotland since she was six and has held a UK passport for 25 years, she fell foul of immigration changes.

As well as losing her flight to New York's Newark airport, Iris ended up more than £500 out of pocket.

Donegal-born Iris, a gran of five, is now warning other Irish nationals to check their passports in advance.

Iris was checking in at Glasgow airport with her brother and sister when the trouble started last week.

Her brother, travelling on an Irish passport, was allowed on board but her sister was also held back.

They were told they didn't meet US entry requirements and needed either an Irish passport or a full visa as they were officially Irish citizens.

Iris said: "I've been left feeling unsure whether I'm Scottish, British or Irish."

Her passport had never caused her problems before.

Airport taxi driver Iris, of Paisley, Renfrewshire, had to fly to London for a temporary Irish passport at a cost of £88.

It all cost more than £500.

Iris said: "When I first applied for a passport many years ago, I was sent a British one. I thought I was British.

"In a way I am - but I'm a British subject, not a citizen.

"The difference has never been that important before.

"But it's become very important."

She added: "The officials at the airport and consulate were very helpful and seemed sympathetic to my predicament but there was nothing they could do to get me on that flight.

"I want everyone else to know the problem so they can get their documents sorted out."

The UK and Ireland are eligible for America's visa waiver programme. But beefed-up security means people must be "citizens" to get in without a visa.

Iris and sister Kathleen finally left on Saturday.

A similar passport hiccup led to another gran being kept under armed guard in a Bulgarian airport last year.

Irish-born Angela Young, 65, of Garmouth, Moray, was also described as a "subject".

A spokeswoman for the Irish consulate in Edinburgh said: "People should have a citizen passport.

"British subject passports aren't of any use now."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "People with British subject on their passports should check with embassies or our website that they meet entry requirements."

Link

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, like it or not (and obviously some drone doesn't) the passport holder is a subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. I know, I know - we had a successful revolution and then invited 'em back. And now, to cap it all - that upstart colony is telling us what we should be!

Bloody hell.

It says on the passport that we should be allowed to pass without let or hindrance...

Its all irrelevent anyway, due to British muslims of Pakisatani origin causing havoc the UK passport is going to be devalued anyway...

We will need to get a VISA to go the US after 2009...

The US said they would be happy to let UK people whose grandparents were BOTH born in the UK to travel visa fee, presumably on a different passport. The UK govt said no as it would breach equality laws...

Driving through Kilburn in London there are adverts saying.. " Brent Council making it easier to get citizenship"... with a photo of a Somalian woman with a child holding a passport...

You couldnt make it up.

STH

This passport thing is getting crazy ,

a couple weeks ago the USA made it a new regulation that its citezens need a passprt whebn returning by air from Canada, Mexico and the bahama islands

Next year you will need it if you drive. walk from Canada or Mexico back to the USA

Now this part with "subject"

We are not "profiling" Ok not officially, but we want other countries to do the profiling for us !

Again the USA is playing the schoolyard bully ,

but its big enough it thinks it can get away with anything :(

OC

.... probably Harlem or Los Angeles Airport.

I guess he didn't see thr big hole in the ground called the Grand Canyon nor Meteorite Crater which is next door. Shit, you can spend a lot of time looking at the wonders in all places - Utah.

As a country we have a lot of shit for people to see. I just wished the country could ease up on the tourist and spend more effort trying to stop the illegals from entering the country.

Archived