Etihad

Sukhumvit

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bibblies, i think that pic is of Abu Dabi? where as Emirates fly via Dubai. I also used to prefer the direct flight but have now got fed up with the journey to Heathrow and a bit with Thai also. I've flown Emirates a number of times in the past and have now started to do so again. I live just a few minutes from Gatwick so its a piece of cake getting there. I don't know where you live but Emirates fly from about 6 airports in the UK now so if you live close by all means give them a go. They are usually cheaper than Thai in both economy and business (don't know which you fly) and if you do live near one of their UK airports the slightly extended flight time is made up for by not having to put up with the crap journey to shitty Heathrow. Also if you fly economy 2 trips a year to BKK from the UK will get you the silver card which allows business class check in at both ends and access to the biz lounge in Dubai.

Simie.

It's Abu Dhabi airport.

Etihad is much better than Emirates, they have flat beds in Business class and the service is a lot better. Wine selection is just that much better also, try the Rully :thumbup:

A little tip for anyone in business class, when you go to the lounge, tell them you would rather go to the hotel lounge, they will direct you to a much better lounge where they have a full bar and waiter service.

Teddy, i was going to give Etihad a try myself as i had heard good things about them and they had an excellent schedule from Gatwick but unfortunately they have moved out of Gatwick and just fly from Heathrow in the south (i believe they also fly from Manchester?) For anyone who's not bothered about Heathrow or for whom Manchester is convenient and is booking in the UK they also appear to offer very competitive prices in business class at the moment.

Simie.

Did you know that their free limo service, which you get both in UK and in Abu Dhabi covers 100 miles from the airport and you can pay a nominal fee to travel further. So it may be still worth using them even if you are nearer Gatwick. Emirates only gives you 50 miles.

Yeah, I know (and yet I don't care because I don't care about airport terminals :) ). It just reminded me of the death dome in Logan's Run and I had to say it.

I was searching for the word 'Emirates' and it was mentioned in this thread.

And I've booked today! :)

Never flown Emirates before but heard good things about it. The only reason I avoided it was because I've become used to going direct with BA, Quantas or Thai - all of whom fly direct and 'at the right times' for me. That is, they fly in the evening or at night and arrive at roughly the 'right time' in my target country. I don't waste any hours.

This time, those options were either much more expensive (in the case of BA) or I couldn't face those shitty Thai planes.

I went with Thai last year and couldn't believe that, not only did they have no individual entertainment systems, they just ran one film on a crappy monitor-size TV over 12 hours! :shocked:

I thought entertainment wasn't that important to me but I can never sleep on flights and I got tired of just reading.

Looked on http://www.airlinequality.com and Emirates is still rated highly. Also, I noticed that the times are pretty good. I can leave at 9 in the evening and, delays permitting, be in Bangkok by 7 in the evening. Ideal time. What's more, they have flights leaving at 3 in the morning which means I can arrive at check-in with an extra S/T under my belt compared to BA/Thais's midnight or 1am slots. :D :thumbup:

Bibblies, i can see you are a man for whom every minute counts?! :) I personally prefer the lunchtime Emirates flight which gets too Bangers about 12.30 in the afternoon and gives me more time to sort myself out without rushing, but if the evening flight suits you thats great also. The entertainment system on Emirates is light years better than Thai economy which as you say is just crap!

Simie.

Teddy, thanks for bringing that to our attention, certainly worth bearing in mind. But sadly even though i have been business class on Emirates a number of times in the past as well as economy, these days since i got married i'm stuck in economy i'm afraid :( Having to pay for 2 of everything and the wifes shopping my budget just does'nt stretch to biz anymore! So no free limo service unless i was doing a mileage upgrade.

Simie.

Ah, but if you take the evening out flights, it means you can go at the end of the day and it doesn't count as a day off work. :thumbup:

The BA/Quantas/Thai ones get in around 3 or 4pm local time. I find that's good and gives me a chance to shower and settle in but I'm a gogo fiend so the action doesn't start for me for a while even after settling.

I am a little worried about the 7pm arrival time because I saw some complaints about delays on that forum I mentioned. Are Emirates punctual in your experience?

It's cutting it a bit fine, arriving on a Saturday at 7pm. 30 mins/1 hour to get through customs and get the bags? 1 hour to get to the hotel? Quick shower, rush out and hit the bars at 9?

Shitttt!!! That's made me remember what happened last time when I arrived at the new airport on its second day of operation. I waited over an hour and a half for my bags! :shocked:

Please tell me it's got better. If I'm late on a Saturday, I may be left with gogo munters. :(

Archived