About time she had this done!

Guest baldrick

The Protestants still hate thatcher to this day here in Ballymena. Paisley is the local politician. I dont really care too much, but i know that there is deep divides among Cathloic and Protestants in my local town. There are 2 shopping malls. One for Catholics and one for Protestants,unofficially. The housing developments are also divided.

Last May, here, a 16 year old Catholic was beaten to death by bassball bats. So there are still some problems.

There is no denying that Sinn fein are very competent politicians.

personally I would rather stay with ther pound, but overall I m not bothered.

The Irish, are actually the second richest people in the world, ahead of the US and the British, so they are doing something right.

Northern Ireland use to have one of the top education systems in the world...until the English boards changed it and fucked it up.

My point is that the meddling the British government do sometimes has benefits and other times it doesnt.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking the time line:

"Across the Atlantic, President Reagan tried to stay neutral and agreed to Secretary Haig starting his shuttle diplomacy."

"Over the next four weeks, America's attempts to be even-handed were not appreciated by Mrs Thatcher, although in US terms, having to choose between Latin American friend and main European ally was no easy matter."

"By the last day of April, President Reagan had come to accept there was little chance of a settlement and declared American support for Britain. He offered military aid and announced sanctions against Argentina."

Contrast this to:

"On Monday 26th April, and some days after Argentina's request, foreign ministers of the Organisation of American States met in Washington DC and in a vote two days later, accepted Argentine sovereignty over the Falklands and called on Britain to cease hostilities."

:dunno:

http://www.naval-history.net/F16diplomacy.htm

In europe the support for UK was 100 %, even the (at that time) neutral Sweden supported the british action. So the US (read Reagan) had either to say good bye to NATO or to the argentinian junta. Even if other latinamerican juntas complained, Europe was after all more important.

I'ver read a military analysis of the Falkland war from the swedish military intelligence (not classified) and the importance of being SAS...

In the US the public support was about 120% pro-UK, mainly because the Argentine attack was seen (rightfully) as an attempt to distract the Argies from their domestic situation. Plus the Argies immediately ordered the Falklanders to start driving on the other side of the road and learning Spanish. The US never attempted to make the Puerto Ricans abandon Spanish, nor the Virgin Islanders drive on the opposite side.

"Stood up to the IRA"?

Hang on a second. Didn't the IRA stand up to the British army.. one of the most experienced and well equipped armies in the world?

Didn't the IRA remain undefeated by the British army?

And, in the end, didn't the IRA voluntarily disarm once they had reached a settlement acceptable to all sides; power-sharing, reform of the (SS) RUC and demilitarization (withdrawal of British troops).

Maybe we interpret things differently.

I think the IRA had a truce because the Loyalist were extracting to heavy a price. Whenever the IRA did something the Loyalists would target civilians.

Ireland will become part of Eire when they vote for it.. shouldnt be too long due to catholic birth rates and the influx of Poles.

STH

In the US the public support was about 120% pro-UK, mainly because the Argentine attack was seen (rightfully) as an attempt to distract the Argies from their domestic situation. Plus the Argies immediately ordered the Falklanders to start driving on the other side of the road and learning Spanish. The US never attempted to make the Puerto Ricans abandon Spanish, nor the Virgin Islanders drive on the opposite side.

Are you saying if the Argies had handled it more diplomatically Mrs. T would have said OK? I don't think so.

Guest lazyphil

<

I neither said they were powerful or systematic, just a group of people not showing empathy to the indians in the land grabs which of course included other nationalitys, i've bought this up very few times, what irks me is gerry adams with his chunky sweaters grinning like a cheshire cat in boston, nyc etc scrounging money off americans who are living in such a way the scottish immigrants of ulster/north of ireland live, i.e on occupied land, if you cant see the hypocracy then i give up!

unless you were minted everyone struggled in the westward advances over the plains and rockys to california, not just the down trodden irish

'the victory was won by SAS alone, rest of the marine and army played no role at all'

a very sad thing to say.

so who flew the planes?,who sailed the ships?,who provided logistical support?.

perhaps you would like to repeat that claim to a friend of mine who lost her only son (Paratrooper) at Goose Green?.

he may not have 'won the war' personally but he was out there fighting for Queen and Country.

i went to his passing out parade and he was so proud that he would be serving his Country.

unlike that fella in the US he was prepared to go into battle wether or not he agreed with the politics,after all that is why he signed up.

and don't diss the Marines,and it's 'ROYAL' by the way.

for over 200 Years the Marines were based in the City i live in and there is a strong historical proudness.

i myself joined at on leaving school in 1976 and apart from having a bad accident when i was 18 and invalided out i would have been yomping across the Falklands.

i still have many friends who were out there and are still suffering from their experiences.

one of my neighbours lost a leg but hey,so what he didn't win the war by himself......the SAS did it all...........

everybody involved in any sort of combat plays their own,if albeit small part.

Archived