The last time a large group of Englishmen walked into Croke Park

foreigner

What happened Nov. 21, 1920, when English forces opened fire on unarmed spectators watching a Gaelic football match, killing 14 and injuring nearly 100, was one of the worst atrocities committed during Ireland's bitter War of Independence.

...the Gaelic Athletic Association rule prohibiting the playing of non-Gaelic games at Croke Park was temporarily relaxed to allow international rugby and soccer matches to be held at Croker while the Lansdowne Road stadium that normally hosts those games is refurbished

... A section of Croke Park was built from the rubble left behind after the Easter Rising of 1916, which ignited a wider revolution, so rebellion is in the very ground itself.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/articles/2007/02/24/irish_english_set_to_tackle_history/

Hi Jounglesoup.

On a brighter note: no trouble during the anthem, and what an absolutely spectacular trashing Ireland (a team proudly representing the entire island) meated out to England!

My brother and dad were both there.

Honestly, best game of rugby I've ever seen!

Hi Jounglesoup.

On a brighter note: no trouble during the anthem, and what an absolutely spectacular trashing Ireland (a team proudly representing the entire island) meated out to England!

My brother and dad were both there.

Honestly, best game of rugby I've ever seen!

Yes, great game. Glad to see Ireland get their just deserves.

A couple of my mates were there also so it was a good day all round.

Fidel, you are Irish?

Where you from?

I m living up in the north.

Well that was a long time ago, 14 British officers had been dragged from their beds and killed earlier ..

That said tonights match was great even though England lost. The Irish people were great, there was total silence during the national anthems.

It was a credit to the fans, saying that rugby attracts a different sort of person to football. Maybe it would have been different if it had been a football match.

STH

often americans will concede bad things were done in the name of our god & flag. to blacks & reds, & browns & yellows.

i have never seen a brit say "yeah, we f'ed up globaly. in Palestine, in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Burma, in Kashmir." much less ireland

or in the kitchen & in the dental clinic :neener:

in the same vein, once the infamous B :devil: B once defended leopold in the congo.

i guess americans being from a variety of gene pools is much less defensive to :thumbdown: the atrocities we have perpetrated on the globe.

re soccer: my theory is that hooligans are direct descendants of colonialist..

:ghost::monkey:

Archived