Singapore Taxi Scams

Mekong

I will just add to this, it was not a one off occurance, on wednesday I pulled 20 SGD out of my wallet that I recieved as change from a Taxi Driver and found the second note to be a 10 Ringgit hence the reason I double checked yesterday lunchtime and found out the same scam was being tried.

Both instances occured whilst taking a cab back into CBD from Jurong Island, I never had a problem on short downtown trips.

The same trick was also pulled on one of the Thai Engineers who was down there with me this week.

I never had a problem there (haven't been in 7 yrs or so though), but the 2 annoyances are the Qs and the stupid chime that rings when the driver exceeds the speed limit! Nothing worse than getting off a 30 hour flight and listening to that chime as the driver races to the hotel!

All that being said, I agree with another poster about comparisons to Thailand...no comparison!

I never had a problem there (haven't been in 7 yrs or so though), but the 2 annoyances are the Qs and the stupid chime that rings when the driver exceeds the speed limit! Nothing worse than getting off a 30 hour flight and listening to that chime as the driver races to the hotel!

And I always thought that was the welcome to Singapore chime. :grin:

Last few trips there, the taxis did not have the chime. Maybe the law has changed? :dunno:

For those who don't know, Sillypore taxis had this overspeed warning "dong" that sounded every 2 seconds or so whenever the driver went over 80KpH.

Cheers,

SD

Two things they jury rig in the cars in Singapore:

1. the chime, little switch to shut it off.

2. the gas gauge, little switch to show a full tank of gas when they drive into Malaysia to fill up with gas, as gas is about 1/2 the price in Malaysia as in Singapore...but you will be fined before you leave Singapore if your gas tank is less then 3/4 full (or something like this).

Archived