Thai Buffet

Sukhumvit

Was recently taken to an open air eat all you want Thai/Lao buffet up in Naklua. This was after I suggested going to the Captain's Corner buffet on the way to Jomtien and current squeeze decided she had a better option.

I can't recommend her choice highly enough. The sign outside was in Thai script and not Angkrit so, although I was told the name which I can't recall, can't say what it was called. However can give pretty decent directions. Take a baht bus away from Dolphin Roundabout up the Naklua Road away from Pattaya. Look out for Soi 15 on the right hand side. Just after that, again on the right, you'll see an open air food court and then another immediately after it. This is within 50 metres of the turn off into Soi 15 and still on the Naklua Road. The second joint is the place to go.

You'll know you've found the right place as it's got stainless steel tables with steamboat style charcoal burners on top so that you can cook your own food. They have an outside barbecue for whatever you choose. As with all buffets you can go in and out all night if you were greedy enough. Includes shrimp, squid, chicken, beef, pork etc. Make your own Lao style soup on the burner on your table.

No music, show or entertainment. Just good, reasonably priced food.

Price, for budget conscious travellers like meself :o , was a measly 350 baht for two pigs, including a couple of big beers. They do have a rule that they charge you 20 baht for each plate, I think that's what she said, of unused food. So don't get too much to begin with. Quite a few farang/thai couples there along with thai families out enjoying themselves. Opening hours from about 4/5ish till 1am. Enjoy. :thumbup:

There's one on Phetchburi in Bangkok. Think it's called, in Thai, Family Barbecue.

I enjoy flicking beer at the side of the brazier to see it evaporate in an instant.

Not overly keen, but the girls like it. Never cease to be impressed by all the young Thais choosing to eat healthy stuff and cook it themselves.

They also do a fine coconut icecream...

A bit off topic and I hope not to start a debate and detract from Sukhumvit's OP but I've never understood the concept of why one would want to cook their own food when they go out to eat. That's why you go out to eat. Of course you would say it's good, otherwise you're calling yourself or tablemates a bad cook.

Now I've been to a few of these cook your own food places as well but I just don't like the idea of having to cook when I'm trying to eat at the same time.

Having said all that, is the beer cold??

QUICK REPLY

Yes, they are quite good fun and ladies certainly like playing housey and cooking up stuff.

The place I went to also does take out - you ring them up and they've got guys on mopeds which can carry up to four braziers and then they lash all the food in large plastic boxes and drive off to your pad.

No doubt it's pretty cheap out in the sticks but for touristy places this was a pretty good deal, especially as it had shrimp and squid which are notoriously expensive in some tourist joints. Funny thing, the lady I was with had come round to my room the night before with a bag of Maengda. Said that they were really tasty. I declined as I'm still too traumatised by childhood cockroaches to even think about eating a bug. Anyway, she loves munching the creepy crawlies but won't touch shrimp as she doesn't like the smell. Claims not to like seafood then she's eating shellfish and next night she dials a takeaway pizza from Nick the Pizza and orders a seafood pizza for herself.?!?!? Sometimes, I just don't get it...

Great fun!

Went to one out in Bang Na, near the Lotus there, really out in the country and was great!!!

We even got the San Miguel beer girl hammered!!!

89 Baht for the all you can eat bb'q and a few Baht for the 13 large beers that we did magic with and made disappear.

Archived