Vietnam war films.

chuckwoww

Most war flicks simply are not realistic. My dad and his friends always said that about WWII films too.

That's why I said 'most influential' instead of 'most accurate'. Apocalypse Now was not a documentary. It was art.

'Operation Burma' was great....B&W and kind of low budget by today's standards, very natural dialogue...maybe that's why it looked so authentic.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps we should start a WW2 Film thread? Love them older movies. Whilst not an action movie I think The Purple Plain - about Gregory Peck as a traumatised airforce guy in a plane crash - was superb. Really atmospheric. Cute chick in it too. :cool:

Saw another one not so long ago about the torpedo boats in the Philippines. Not the one about JFK's exploits but about some guys in a little squadron of MTBs going out and harrying the Japs. Cracking stuff. :thumbup:

What is amazing is that at the end of WWII the USN DESTROYED almost all of the PT boats. Allegedly, they were afraid smugglers might get them, but I don't buy that. The US military destroyed millions of dollars worth of aircraft, land vehicles, cameras etc ... all part of a government agreement to keep the prices high for the manufacturers in the US.

Hundreds of PT boats in perfect condition were torched and burned in the Philippines. Very few PT boats survive today.

Archived