U.S. military buildup on Iran border

foreigner

I see Blair is appealing to the UN now. His pal Bush thinks it's just an irrelevant debating society.

The Iranians have misunderstood the situation, taking hostages as a strategy was fine when evrybody else was wanting to avoid escalating the dispute, now its the opposite, they just don't get it, Blair Bush was the excuse to go after them.

Well they've dished it up a a silver platter!

Indeed the UN security council as per usual will be found wanting, proof once again its has no significance for the coalition of the willing.

As foreigner said keep yer gas tanks filled.

I don't see invasion of Iran as the next course of action, but I do expect local incidents on the border and different rules of enagement with the Iranians in disputed waters, followed by a major bombing excercise.

JP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Iranians get it. They have a thing about martyrdom. Though I guess there's quite a debate going on inside Iran right now.

Question is do Bush and Blair really want it? They have the excuse now if they need it.

And I think the Iranians have a nasty surprise or two for Israel.

Do Bush Blair want it? Is the pope a catholic?

I'd have thought Irans best strategy is to collapse the oil exports from the whole region and really make a fight of it.

Well I hope theres enough virgins to go around, otherwise there'll be a lot of dissapointed people thinking they've been cheated.

JP

You seem to know more about Bush/Blair thinking than I do. I'm not convinced they want to start another one. The last two haven't been a huge success.

That said I think Bush will get pressured into it. And if Blair does want to go along with it then provoking Iran would be the way to go.

That 72 virgins stuff is just silly. Martyrdom to the Iranians is more a question of what happened to Husein in Karbala.

Next big event will be some kind of statement from the UN.

Well the clocks ticking, the UN only muddies the waters, all sorts of scenarios come out of it, which may or maynot diffuse it depending on the Iranian response.

There are many islamcists form the region who'd get involved and they'd be full of their religious nonsense in the suicide VDOs, but hey they wanna go join mohammed in paradise, that can be arranged.

Bottom line, is Iran more likely to face military action as a result of this? My view is yes.

JP

GWB's buddies say go for it! Maybe the price of oil will reach $4.00 to $5.00 a gallon by summer in the USA. Just think of the money to be made.

Haliburton says go for it!

GWB says go for it. If he can get all 3 Axis of Evil out of the way before his term is over, he probably thinks he will go down in history as the greatest political character in history.

either the iranian dude is totally off his rocker or he knows something we know nothing of.

how good are the iranian rockets? can they hit israel? the green zone? UK?

do they have 'stuff' already in place in Syria or Iraq?

what could they have in store for the straits of hormuz?

i've read they have 200 kph torpedoes.

with the us having 2 carrier groups in the persian gulf it is certainly (to quote rummy) "a target rich environment".

can they hit 2 carriers?.. just hitting will provide a big muslim emotional boost .. more than 9-11

if it starts they will need to let it all go immediately .. if not, if they blink, the us can easily turn the entire country to ruble in a week

oil to $100 .. more?

oil is already up several $s .. this has already cost the west billions in increased oil expense.

is the whole thing a ploy to up oil prices?

[color:red]a bush / blair attack will set off the entire mid east.[/color]

& who gives a f' about 15 people .. that many are killed several times per day in Iraq.

if the mid east explodes that many will die each hour for months.

bush pretends he's a poker player .. this is a major bluff at best or an informed call at worst.

You guys really crack me up. Gum-beating useless speculation about something that is NOT very likely to happen at all. U.S. activity along the border is probably a combination of sabre-rattling and perhaps shoring up the border. Does anybody here really believe that the U.S. Congress would authorize Bush to send troops into Iran? Give me a break...and yourselves one too :grin: (And I agree that the U.N. is essentually about as useless as tits on a chicken.)

HH

Archived