How Do I Connect Laptop at Internet Shop w ADSL ?

gawguy

I want to bring my laptop to the internet shop.

They have a couple of stations that have the adsl plug ready and waiting. I have never used adsl because I have wifi at home and before that modem. I'm running Windows 2000.

Do I need software to hook to their ISP? They would provide that I guess. Or do I have to subscribe to something? Anything special about setting up my computer?

Thanks,

GG

I have ADSL.

One of my computers is hooked up by ethernet cable. Another is hooked up by USB and my notebook is wireless. I have used my notebook in Thailand by using the wireless connection but if I went to an Internet shop, I would have to hook up by USB. Plugging the notebook in the USB port should do it, but if you are running Windows 2000, you probably do not have a USB port. Also, I believe there is some software you have to run to make it run from the USB port.

Just go to Starbucks or the like and use their wi-fi.

Many in'net shops do not allow you to connect to their network, unless by wi-fi.

Better still go to Robin Hood, Irish X-Change and Duke of York (amongst others) and use the free wi-fi available there.

Okay...I'll try some more...

The internet shop I go to has ethernet stations available for personal laptops.

My laptop has an ethernet jack.

I have seen someone else w a laptop plugged into ethernet.

I don't have a wireless card here. I don't want to go anywhere else when I'm a member at this shop. I've heard ethernet is faster than wifi anyway.

So...can anyone help with the original question?

Thanks,

GG

Well,

should not be to difficult.

It's an internet shop, you are a customer, all you need now is a LAN cable. And someone who helps you with the configuration. It's an internet shop, there's a chance the girls or boys in charge can help you there.

In case it's an internet shop where the staff is barely able to operate the cash register / open bottles:

Plug the LAN cable in your computer and the hub/switch/router/whatever they have to plug in.

Provided you're using Win XP go to network connections - right-click choose properties - on the general tab mark TCP/IP and click properties - mark obtain automatic for both IP address and DNS-Server. 'Ok' the open windows, start your browser and go to a news site to check if you can access the internet.

That should do it. If not the staff is your last hope.

Thanks,

I missed that info about Win2k. Read that post a day ago but didn't write an answer. I'm a year-round fool, didn't want to be an aprils fool on top of that.

I have to think back a few years when I used Win2k at work. What I remember and given the fact that M$ didn't change that much setting up TCP/IP addresses for LAN connections didn't change.

You're right, staff is probably too young to know Win2k.

Archived