Q-Bar, Susie Pub, Angels Discos

quote:

Originally posted by ling_phoom:

Funny, I had a phone number within 15 min. at Qbar and I didn´t even want it. Chick thought I worked in BKK and said I was lying when I told her I wasn´t. Never called her. Anyway, Qbar got some game but very limited.

L

I'm coming over to Bkk around 10th Aug. and would like to check this out since I've never been to this bar. Can anyone give the location / address of Qbar. I'll be staying at the Ambassdor hotel.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mykal

Just to fill out some of the excellent info Vtombrown gave you re Thonburi.

There are a couple of good dance clubs near Sirirat Hospital (near Pinklao bridge, on the Thonburi side). On Arun Amarin Road check out the Starting Point - a down and dirty but very funky little dance club. Popular with local bikers but don't worry - they're very friendly.

On Phranok Road, near the junction with Charoen Sanitwong Road you'll find 333 (known locally as Trong Saam or 'Straight three's'). A great little techno club that's very popular with the local vocational college girls. There is also a small strip of very laid back little bars opposite the hospital at the junction of Arun Amarin and Phranok. About 7 or 8 small bars - no dancing but the scenery (clientele) is most heartwarming and the venue makes an excellent prelude to visiting the other places.

In the same area but further into Thonburi, on Issaraphap Road, there is a collection of dance clubs and bars around Wang Doem junction. I haven't been there as they sprung up since I last lived in the area. By all accounts it's a very lively area and well patronised by local college kids.

VTom's suggestion about checking out some of the Thai muxic bars was an excellent one. Even if you're into techno etc, you can have a ball at these places. One place I liked on Thonburi side was called Hut Pub. It's in a very small soi near to Pata Department store. On a Saturday night the place really rocks and by 10.00pm the place is full and they are turning people away. The only downside is you have to sit through a very moribund acoustic phleng cheewit set before the electric band take the stage at around midnight. They play all Thai music but boy can they play! Some of my best nights in LOS have been spent here and the prospects of picking up some female company are far from remote - I got propositioned and eyeballed pretty much every time I went there. Half a bottle of Mekong, a few cokes and a few plates of moo manao and I was as happy as a pig in shit!

In the same area on the small sois that form the perimeter around the Pata store, there are a few samll music bars. The best of these is Joker where you'll hear a mix of Thai and western (mostly Thai) pop from a live band. Any dancing is restricted to the space around your table but the atmosphere is great and, again, the place is crawling with student totty.

Heading from Pata back towards Pinklao bridge you'll meet the crossroads with Arun Amarin road. Hang a left here if you fancy a soapy - Chao Phraya 3 is a hundred or so yards down on the left. If you're up for more dancing, hang a right. About two hundred yards down on the right you will find Energy Zone. (Not sure about that name but you can't miss it) Not sure what style of music they play but it's a very popular dance venue with hi-so Thais.

Many of the places here are within walking distance of each other and those that aren't are no more than a 50 baht taxi ride. If you want a little something out of the ordinary away from the usual farang scene (it would be most unusual to see a farang at any of these places) there's some great fun to be had.

Whatever, I hope you have a great time Mykal!

Hi,

vtombrown said:

"If you have more than three days in BKK, spend at least a couple hours (in the evening) touring the Ratchadapisek strip. Some short timers don't make it over there, but I consider it to be an upscale, "must see." "

Mykal, I agree with vtombrown, especially if you say you like discos you just have to try a real Thai one. There are only 3 open at the moment though on Ratchadapisek;

Hollywood, probably the best one

Dance Fever, very similar to Hollywood, but slightly less popular

Sparks, upscale and expensive (been told it's similar to Spasso, but have never been)

The other two, Phuture and Airbus, were recently shutdown for drugs.

Let me know if you want a guide, my wife is always looking for an excuse to go to these places. And going with a bunch of people is always more fun.

Sanuk!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Now I have to digest all this information! I will probably go to a club on Friday Sat ro Sun night but only for a little relaxation away from the go go scene. Plus I always want to see if my pickup techniques (non bar girl) are still sharp. Who knows I may come up on something. But if not I can say I had a nice time dancing and go for the sure things in Nana etc. Anyone who would like to get together, I will be in town from the 30th of Aug to September 8th (fly out at 6am on the 9th). Slightly more than one week and I have sandwiched in two weekends. Not bad.

Mykal

LOS in September!!!!

Originally posted by vinod:

"Can anyone give the location / address of Qbar. I'll be staying at the Ambassdor hotel."

34 Sukhumvit Soi 11, a few minutes walk from your hotel. Right side of the soi (lane) if you come from there.

Namaste (your name sounds Indian to me, hai na?), SB.

Vinod Khanna?

Archived