Definition Please - Real Thai Food

unit731

"Your average Westerner would gag on 'real Thai food'."

Where I live the Thai resteraunts cater for farang not Thai's, allthough one place my wife like is run by this old Thai lady from CM and she cooks my wife anything she likes. The ingredients are'nt allways the same but they do well.

Most other "Thai" resteraunts here in Adelaide are actually ran by Chinese, 9 out of 10 I'd say. One of them even has the royal line up on display.

Ozzie...

I don't think the original question on what constitutes 'real Thai food' has been resolved, real Thai food to a peasant farmer in Issarn will be a world away from the real Thai food of a wealthy Thai residing in BKK. The same would be true for most countries, I think most Brits would gag on the stuff my grandfather used to enjoy eating back in the 50's Personally I judge most Thai food by the standard you would expect in a upmarket Thai restaurant targeting Thais, not farangs, it could be argued 'hawker food' is the ultimate Thai food which it could well be, I have never seen this food on sale in the UK around the area I live.

Your average Westerner would gag on 'real Thai food'.

That's quite true. Same same with Chinese. I have eaten in dozens of Chinese restaurants in Europe but when my Thai Chinese girlfriend took me to eat in Chinatown Bangkok I didn't recognise any of the dishes they had on the menu. Can't even imagine what kind of stuff they eat in rural China.

I have eaten in dozens of Chinese restaurants in Europe but when my Thai Chinese girlfriend took me to eat in Chinatown Bangkok I didn't recognise any of the dishes they had on the menu. Can't even imagine what kind of stuff they eat in rural China.

In the US most Chinese restaurants serve Cantonese cuisine. But there are many different regional styles, just as there are in Thailand. A northern style Chinese restaurant will be far different from one serving Cantonese.

Can't even imagine what kind of stuff they eat in rural China.

That's easy.

Anything with four legs that's not a table.

Anything that flies that's not an aeroplane.

FOUR legs? Surely the more legs the better, or none at all. :)

Heck it's like Animal-Planet-Meets- Discovery-Home-Cooking just walking through my soi, I can scarcely imagine what they're up to in China.

But the most authentic Thai dish has got to be Tom Yam. I hate it.

As for all you yoyos listing weird rural foods, keep in mind the topic was THAI food, which most Thais would take to mean central Thai food. If you go to TheMiddleofButtFuckNowhereBuri and talk about Thai Food they'll take it to mean things like green curry & spicy seafood salad & fried pork with basil leaves and all those.

I hate all of those too.

Archived