Definition Please - Real Thai Food

unit731

There's a reasnoble Thai restaurant near to where I live in the UK, but it's not of the quality found in BKK, most of the dishes have been somewhat westernised, probably due to lack of authentic, fresh ingredients. One enterprising Indian take away, as recently added Thai food to their menu, needless to say, it's rubbish. A simple way to evaluate the quality of a Thai restaurant without eating there is to check see if the local expat Thais are using it, if they are, it's probably OK.

My first test is to look for a pix of the king & queen. If they are present, then at least the place is likely run by Thais. Then I order something that is not on the menu (in paa-saa Thai) and hope for the best.

Cheers,

SD

Yep, look for the pics. A lot of Chinese have opened "Thai" restaurants, since the food is so popular.

Probably the top price Thai restaurants are good quality, but the lower range reduce prices by changing the ingredients. Expensive imported spices etc are replaced with something cheaper that is locally available. Also, many restaurants tone down the food to what they think westerners want. Dishes which should be "phet" end up about as spicy as a cheese sandwich. :p

I'd have to disagree that all Thai restaurants do not serve authentic Thai food. I am pretty sure you don't want to lump them all in that catagory. Like many things, some are good, some are bad.

I lived in Honolulu for about 10 years but have been away for about 6 years so don't remember the names of the places but have eaten at a couple smaller true Thai restaurants run by Thais. The food was fantastic and was given the approval of my Thai wife.

Depends on where you are and if there's a large enough native Thai population to support a real Thai restaurant. In LA's Thai Town, they even have a kao gaeng shop. Most customers in some of those restaurants are Thai. But by and large, Thai restaurants in America serve 'Thaimerican' food.

I remember many years ago the Thai Temple in Berkeley had pretty authentic Thai food in a fair on Sundays, but when I went with my wife a year or so ago it was complete crap, they had sold out to make tons from the local Berkeley'niks who were so proud they could eat 'real thai pad grapao tofu.'

Archived