Authentic American Fried Rice: Where/how?

whitelotuslane

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't cook real american fried rice in Thailand as the thai rice is of a much higher quality than the american. :grin: Sure you can get a much better american fried rice in a thai restaurant - just tell them how to cook it. :cool:

Khao Pad American is a creation from the VN War days, when there were thousands of US Airmen stationed in Thailand. Thus its "authenticity" is a bit dubious. Basically, it was fried rice altered to what the Thais thought the Yanks would like. Instead of the egg being mixed it, it is fried and laid on top. There are also sausages or sometimes ham. (Don't remember any chicken drumsticks.) It usually ended up being sort of ham and eggs accompanied by fried rice. It's not a bad meal, but isn't seen that much anymore. Also, some restaurants got a bit creative and mixed in a handful of raisins, though that wasn't really standard. Maybe that was an Indian influence.

:dunno:

p.s. Every restaurant in the GI days and for some years after had a bottle of Tabasco sauce on each table. I never saw anyone use it, but it was always there next to the fish sauce and soy sauce!

Dumsoda dont waste time with Teddy and Munchie. The poor sad buggers sit in the pub with their laptops together. Playing on 360. No social skills you see! Maybe they could be Thai360 nerds!

Tut, tut, Zob. Don't be going around telling fibs about me and Teddy. I think you're just jealous coz OH loves us (although not in a gay way). :)

Hey "MunchBear"... :grinyes::neener::neener::grinyes:

My life long dream has been to find a couple of TG's that could do the "Tag team" thingo as well as you guys do it....Think I'd die smiling!!! lol...

All too late though' date=' I don't even get to "sneak in" an Akane visit these days... :grinyes::whatever::grinyes: ...not that I'd probably ..."Do it justice"...must be gettin' Old....lol...

Cheers DS/DC[/quote']

I love these two...er not in a gay way, just funny guys, kind of the "Norm and Cliff" of the board.

Cheers OH (pun intended), we love you too, although (speaking only for myself) not in a gay way of course.

Teddy, I wanna be Norm. No, not because we share a similar profile but because Cliff's a miserable bastard who nobody likes. :yay:

Archived