Authentic American Fried Rice: Where/how?

whitelotuslane

[The 'where' part of this applies to the Pattaya area, though Bangkok suggestions are welcome too]

I don't eat a whole lot of Thai food especially not when sober, but I do appreciate a good American Fried Rice Breakfast, *IF* done properly. It's also a near miracle cure for hangovers, messing about with coffee & fruit of course doesn't work.

So the first question is simply: What places do it well? It absolutely MUST have raisins and mushy peas in it, but I appreciate other ingredients too when they work well. Plus of course the usual American-Breakfast sides.

Also I googled for a recipe but couldn't find one. It seems "American Fried Rice" is only in Thailand? Or perhaps only called that in Thailand?

EDIT: I just went to Big C and they didn't have #(I*&(*%$# raisins!!! THey had other weird dried fruit of every shape and color, but most of them too sweet or too salty, I tried them all. I hate this country sometimes, what supermarket doesn't have raisins.. Give me 2 salueng for every "mai mee ka" out there and I'd be rich.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely a Thai dish. Never seen it anywhere else but can remember eating it in LOS almost 20 years ago.

I seem to recall it was a plate of fried rice (reddish colour), with a fried egg, a couple of cocktail sausages, maybe a bit of bacon, some slices of tomato and cucumber and a couple of spring onions.

Quite tasty actually.

Indonesia has a similar dish with chicken satay.

Archived