What do bar owners actually do?

trapperjohn

Just heard this story from a friend a few minutes ago. True story, but in the USA.

A busy waitress approached the bar owner and asked where the cash register tape was. He was on the internet, but he told her in which cabinet to find the tape.

Since she was busy and he was seemingly doing nothing, she was then stupid enough to ask, "What exactly is it that you DO all day?"

He replied, "I fire people. Now collect your stuff and get out of here."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

being a Pimp

actually, when i was talking to a bar owner of a establishement on suk 18 ( I think he is also here in the thread)

I asked him (not knowing who he was) "what 'your doing in Bangers?"

he answered: "I am a Pimp", I asked, what brothel, he said , this place (bar/hotel)

so there is a piece of honesty in your reply as well..

You can't run a bar and be a nice guy.

Well you can, but then you're not making enough money.

Hehe, I know what kind of response you are trying to get. Let's just say that there is no rule for success. A bar raises and falls with the girls. If you have good girls on a good location the word will spread and the people will come! You can run a tight ship buy being nice, you don't have to be an asshole to own the respect of your employees.

You can't run a bar and be a nice guy.

Well you can' date=' but then you're not making enough money.[/quote']

Hehe, I know what kind of response you are trying to get. Let's just say that there is no rule for success. A bar raises and falls with the girls. If you have good girls on a good location the word will spread and the people will come! You can run a tight ship buy being nice, you don't have to be an asshole to own the respect of your employees.

You're right CT; I have been in the bar biz 2 times. You need to walk a thin line don't be cheap but also don't give the place away. Let people have fun but don't let them destroy your place. Intervine at the first sign of trouble and never let anyone doubt who the boss is.

Pad one on the shoulder when he does something good and criticize when someone did something wrong! When your employees see that you know what you are doing then it is them who have to earn your respect and not the other way around. People who are choleric usually compensate something else or don't find other ways to make people respect them! You don't have to be a softy but you have to stay reasonable at all times, it makes no sense to rip someones head off, after all they are working for you and if you have a broken sail on your ship you won't move forward as fast as you could!

Archived