How Bad Will It Be???

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't bother with an explanation, i've read the law again:

Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist [color:orange]Visa Exemption[/color] category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay

of not exceeding 90 days within [color:red]any[/color] 6-month period [color:orange]from the date of first entry[/color]

All fine, because it says [color:red]ANY[/color] 6-month period! They won't deport him anyways, he is leaving the country to his home country and doesn't make any boarder runs, which is why they invented this law! According to the Law he is good to go!

Don't bother with an explanation, i've read the law again:

Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist [color:orange]Visa Exemption[/color] category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay

of not exceeding 90 days within [color:red]any[/color] 6-month period [color:orange]from the date of first entry[/color]

All fine, because it says [color:red]ANY[/color] 6-month period! They won't deport him anyways, he is leaving the country to his home country and doesn't make any boarder runs, which is why they invented this law! According to the Law he is good to go!

Yes, as the law reads, NOT TO EXCEED 90 days, in any 6 month period. YOU are looking to violate that.

Best to get a normal Visa, from outside, be safe, not sorry. If you hit the wrong immigration guy, you got a big problem.

Here is an exampleâ?¦

6 month period, November 15 to May 15 = 6 month period.

So far, Nov 15 to Dec 5, 20 days, December 30 days, March 36 days. Total 86 days.

So, in the 6 month period, ending May 15, so far 86 days, so, how can the issue a visa, before then, for an additional 30 days, and be within the law, NOT TO EXCEED 90 days?

Good Luck, post the outcome, next week...

Sporty, thanx for your effort to help me!

I think you have totally misread the first post!

Since November 3rd there has been 3 entries each 30 days long (+ overstay and extension) doesn't matter if the overstay adds up to the 90 days or not, the period of 6 month is over on May 1st! YOu get it? He was staying 90 days already within a 180 period and left the country

My Cousin will enter Thailand AFTER the 180days period is over!!!

Sporty, thanx for your effort to help me!

I think you have totally misread the first post!

Since November 3rd there has been 3 entries each 30 days long (+ overstay and extension) doesn't matter if the overstay adds up to the 90 days or not, the period of 6 month is over on May 1st! YOu get it? He was staying 90 days already within a 180 period and left the country

My Cousin will enter Thailand AFTER the 180days period is over!!!

Believe me,I do not want to see your cousin or anyone have trouble with this. I hope some others on the board, can shed more light.

I HOPE, I AM WRONG...

AS, I read it, in order not to violate, 90 days in ANY 180 day period. THE DAY you enter, you should have no more than 60 days, in country, in the previous 150 days, adding the new VOA 30, up to 90 days max, in 180.

YOU might say, I see the 90/180 as a moving target.

Soon, we should get input from other members, hey if I am wrong, so be it.

Woohooo, now I finally get what you are saying!

This however is still no Issue, i think

there are 2 options how they can handle the situation

#1 90 days within 180 days and it starts all over again

#2 90 days within 180 no matter what!

in case #1 my cousin would have wasted his 90 days within 180 days starting at November 3rd and now there is a clean slate after May 1st and he can come again for 3x30 days

in case #2 he arrived on Dec 27th to Jan 25th (30days) and he stayed in March to April for another 30 days (the 6 days visa extension are not supposed to be counted since it is a visa)

that means he has 60 days wasted and in the worst case scenario 66 days if they count the visa extensions! I am sure they would let him in, either on a 30days visa exempt or they would make him apply for a visa on arrival (to make money) or they would force him to buy a 7 days extension for 1900 baht to cover the 6 extra days of his last trip! I believe they will let him in for 30 days without any problems, he will be on a priority counter (diplomatic counter) because of his booking class, these officers might be less stressed out. There is no scenario where I see him getting deported!

If you are right with your assumption the new 180 days period would be from December 27 to June 24th. He will leave the country on May 31st and can't re-enter for 24 days!

Basically you can say, if he stays every 2nd month at home he can come for the rest of his life!

In case #3: He used 4 days Dec 2 to 5th, plus the 66 you mentioned. So, 70 days, in the last 150 days. So to issue him a visa for 30 days, make it 100, would violate the 90/180 rule.

With the wrong guy counting the days, he has a problem. YOU SAID, day can be bought, THAT IS NEWS, to me?

With another guy, I do not really know, but heard about, from his mate, they held him at the Airport. Then, the Airlines had to take him out, on the next flight, they returned him to Singapore, where he came from.

The law CLEARLY says "from the date of first entry" It doesn't say "180 days from a date we pick" the overstay of 2 days from dec 2nd to dec 4th is not an entry stamp. Overstays and Visa extensions are both considered Visas and may not be added to a visa exempt, that is two different things! Even if he gets a fishy officer he can't make up an entry date as you did! Worst case would be 24 days left, they can permit him to stay 24 days, no big deal!

Yes you can buy 7 or 30 more days (before it was 10/30) from the immigration office at your holiday destination.

The guy came from Singapore, that is what many more sophisticated visa runners do, flying back to Germany every 2nd month on a first class ticket is way different. The Immigration officer is supposed to be smarter at the priority desks and my cousins passport shows no tracks of any neighborhood country!!!

It also depends on his nationality, is he entering Thailand on a Visa o. Arrival or is he entering on a Tourist Visa Exempt?

My cousin will have a calendar in his bag where the days from his first entry stamp are numerated!

Why not just get a visa ? They are relatively cheap and easy to obtain.

It has been noted that the Thai authorities are not consistant in the way they apply the 180 rule. The understanding was that one could use a 60 day visa and extend for 30 days in adition to 3 * 30 day entry stamps in a 180 day period. Some places are now stating that the 30 day extension is also "non visa" and thus you have to add in another Penang trip or similar to remain here.

Archived