Famous Quotes

David99UK

I spent far too long on this site. some of them are surprisingly ancient.

http://www.quotationspage.com/

[color:red]Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.[/color]

Blaise Pascal

French mathematician, physicist (1623 - 1662)

[color:red]Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.[/color]

Oscar Levant

(1906 - 1972)

[color:red]It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish.[/color]

Aeschylus

Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

[color:red]The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.[/color]

Harlan Ellison

US science fiction author & screenwriter (1934 - )

[color:red]Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.[/color]

Napoleon Bonaparte

French general & politician (1769 - 1821)

[color:red]Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.[/color]

Thomas A. Edison

US inventor (1847 - 1931)

[color:red]There is no moral precept that does not have something inconvenient about it.[/color]

Denis Diderot

French author, encyclopedist, & philosopher (1713 - 1784)

[color:red]Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.[/color]

H. H. Williams

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, no substitute for original thought - but I find it kinda nice spooky reading words written hundreds (or thousands!) of years ago, that tell me that other folk were also asking themselves the same questions / looking at the world and human nature through similar eyes.........

Winston Churchill

Lady Astor: "If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee."

Churchill: "If I were married to you, I'd drink it."

â??1920s. Churchill biographer Sir Martin Gilbert said this exchange was more likely to have occurred between Lady Astor and Churchill's good friend F.E. Smith, Lord Birkenhead, a notorious acerbic wit. But both ConsueloVanderbilt(The Glitter and the Gold) and ChristopherSykes(Nancy: The Life of Lady Astor) say the riposte was by Churchill. The argument was rendered moot when FredShapiro, in The Yale Book of Quotations, tracked the origins of the phrase to a joke line from a 1900 edition of The Chicago Tribune.

Oh, God ... what a pratt.

:banghead:

"I don't think the Republicans can damage my character." - Bill Clinton, former U.S. President

"I'm someone who has a deep emotional attachment to Starsky and Hutch." - Bill Clinton, former U.S. president

"Politics gives guys so much power that they tend to behave badly around women. And I hope I never get into that." - Bill Clinton, former U.S. president

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say." - Bill Clinton, former U.S. President

Archived