A friend in Thai jail

limbo

Sad part is this could happen to any of us. It is easy to say whatever you want to say when looking in but if we were inside, looking out, I think we would be saying something different. the Thai prison system does need changes especially when it concerns us (foreigners). Some may argue that we should not be treated any different then Thai people but then most of us can not use a squat toilet let alone eat that which is called food. The caloric intake for a farang is more then for a Thai but farangs do not get more food. Thais, for the most part, have built up immunities to such dieases as Hepatitis A but farangs don't. Shit, I go on and on but for those of us on the outside, who cares?

Thanks BKKtraveler,

This is the spirit in which this has been posted.

It's not about being guilty or not guilty or off the wall remarks about the personal look of the person in question. No thanks to you keyboard warriors.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sad part is this could happen to any of us. It is easy to say whatever you want to say when looking in but if we were inside, looking out, I think we would be saying something different. the Thai prison system does need changes especially when it concerns us (foreigners). Some may argue that we should not be treated any different then Thai people but then most of us can not use a squat toilet let alone eat that which is called food. The caloric intake for a farang is more then for a Thai but farangs do not get more food. Thais, for the most part, have built up immunities to such dieases as Hepatitis A but farangs don't. Shit, I go on and on but for those of us on the outside, who cares?

So by that same logic - a Thai sentenced to prison in the Uk should be stuck in the stocks and fed bread and water? Fuck it, why dont we just stick the yellow fucker in the towers.

They are not used to compassionate leave, degrees, home visits, opens nicks etc etc.

PLONKER

Assuming the web link accurately summarizes the charges against him :dunno: , it seems as though there is only one legitimate charge against him (unless you consider "being a member of a secret society", whatever the hell that means, to be a crime), and that charge is extortion and attempted murder.

That is a serious matter anywhere. But if the website's summary of the case against him provides an accurate and complete summary of the case against him, it doesn't sound as though much evidence has been provided to back up the charges.

All I know about this matter is what I read on the website, but what troubles me is that it fits a pattern here. Maybe there is plenty of evidence to back up the charges and the site just conveniently fails to mention that evidence (I don't know), but the vagaries of the legal system here are very troubling.

I am not familiar the case against this guy, but I am familiar with the business world here. Right now we are seeing attempts to enact laws that will criminalize companies that are currently legal and force foreigners to divest holdings in companies that are legal under current law. No one disputes that the proposed amendments to the Foreign Business Act, if enacted and enforced, will be applied to retroactively force foreignors to sell off their previously legal holdings in Thai companies.

That is not right. When these sorts of changes to the law are given serious consideration, it calls the integrity of the entire system into question. And when the integrity of the entire system is legimately called into question, it means you have to question charges against a guy that may or may not be totally justified.

The fact that the guy was charged with an arm load offences, almost all of which have now been dropped, makes me wonder if any of the charges are valid. For all I know, they may be. But it looks a bit like they are hanging on to the last of the charges if only to save some sort of face.

I thought about retiring outside of the U.S. one day to some place like LOS but frankly, once you leave the west, the rule of law becomes a bit murkier.

If I lived in LOS I'd stay clear of anything that would remotely be construed as illegal. Sometimes just plain old bad luck do you in.

As for this Crispin guy, his being jailed seems dodgy to me but that's without benefit of all the facts. This won't hold up in a court of law or public opinion but knowing what I know about Limbo and how honest he is, I trust his opinion. Plus Limbo is a gooner...that in itself is enough. :)

Hope things work out for the good.

On the brighter side, or to be honest as well, there are many ways to get away with illegal dealings in LOS, it is still a very corrupt country, which has some perks.

Went for dinner this evening to a restaurant owned by a french guy upcountry with a thai supplier well connected in that province.

We drive and he laughs : "this french guy is famous in ***, police likes to talk about him"

I ask why and it appears several (a couple?) of charges were pressed against him for pedophilie, some videotaping involved. Some money settled the whole issue and the french bloke is staying there healthily.

My supplier is laughing at the issue in the car, and so do I. Besides food was OK, which is the most important.

excuses, but i've seldom read such a load of rubbish...the only correct part of this pile of dung is that "the Thai prison system does need changes"...many thais would agree...

but why would farang merit different treatment (which, by the way, many do get)??? farang can't use squat toilet? try it, once, and you can too...

farang need more calories? rubbish, unless you want to to look like the average obese nana-plaza visitor, i guess. also, if you want you can buy suppplements...

and then this beauty: "Thais, for the most part, have built up immunities to such dieases as Hepatitis A but farangs don't." asians in general are much more susceptible to hepatitis (especially hep B) than farangs...

i'll stop ranting, as i have limited time for utterly racist rubbish like this...white trash who believe the color of their skin and their passport entitles them to special treatment...in the 17th century, yes, but most of mankid has moved on...time you do too...

...you're not in kansas any more; deal with it or go back...

Well colorwolf, if you should be thrown in jail, we know you will fair out just fine. Shit, you probably will not even ask for a trial. While in prison, I guess there will be no need to bring you extra food because you would probably throw it away since you would already have had your 'fill' of prison food.

As for the squat toilet, glad to see that you mastered that task so easy. I suppose that with out a container of water nearby nor a water hose, I assume you will use your right hand to scoop from the squat toilet water to as to wash yourself. [LOL]

NOW, can we get this thread back on track? Limbo posted this thread so maybe this chap can get some help. Not to listen to some whiner bragging about how big he is. Now on a softer tone, I know if I was in the position of the man in prison, I would want help.

Guest lazyphil

i've said this before and i'll repeat it, i've seen a docu about us state prisons and based on admitadly weak knowledge on thai and american prisons i'd rather do porridge in a thai prison regardless of squat loos and the food, american jails look like hell!

Archived