New Mex around Nana?

cavanami

Been there 2 times. The Taco's are good. And the price, 39 baht, you cannot beat. So excellent value for money imho. And they stay open 24 hrs a day. Which is good for me, so I have one more option at 2 in the morning after work.

Waerth

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owner rights "Enjoy traditional Mexican favorites..." and then goes on to talk about their CRISPY TACO SHELLS. But anyone who has been to Mexico knows there's no such thing as CRISPY taco shells. The tacos in mexico are SOFT corn tortillas. The only place i've seen "crispy" tacos are in the USA.

Also, burritos are very hard to find in mexico, but all over the place in USA. I spent several weeks in mexico city, and noone there even heard of a burrito. Turns out, their mostly eaten in northern mexico (near the u.s. border).

At sunrise they have both hard taco shells and 2 varieties of soft taco shells.

I also discovered another place on Silom which has just opened. Taco Loco. It is on the same building as Subway and Beirut (Lebanese restaurant) near Silom soi 4. Their taco's are also pretty good.

The place is owned by 2 half-Thais who were raised in California. One of them is an actor also.

If you are on Silom be sure to try a taco at their place.

Waerth

When I was a wee one, I lived in Las Cruces, New Mexico (when that was still a delightful little town). Fantastic Mexican food everywhere -- northern Mexican style, far different from that in southern Mexico. Then my father got transfered to California. The Mexican food in LA was noticeably different. We would order something by name, only to find out it was hardly what we expected. e.g. Tostadas in N Mex & west Texas were simply 1/8th slices of corn tortillas fried crisp and served with chile con queso, guacamole dip etc. In Los Angeles, a tostada was a fried corn tortila with a salad piled on top! Also, the peppers used in chiles rellenos were different in California and N Mex. Sometimes the batter was too.

The hard taco shells are a product of the fast food market. We always bought soft corn tortillas, which you filled and then fried in a pan. None of this open the package, stuff the thing full and then poke it in a microwave.

Archived