New Mex around Nana?

cavanami

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also discovered another place on Silom which has just opened. Taco Loco. It is on the same building as Subway and Beirut (Lebanese restaurant) near Silom soi 4.

Waerth

Was in BKK last week on Silom and tried this place for lunch. Not bad for Mexican food in Asia, certainly have had worse.

:shifty:

The hard taco shells are a product of the fast food market. We always bought soft corn tortillas, which you filled and then fried in a pan.

That's how we did it in SoCal too. When I was a kid, hard shell tacos as you decribed were far more common in restaurants here than the soft shell variety. And while what Livestocklover says about hard shell tacos being unavailable in Mexico is generally true, tacos dorados have been around as long as I've been going there (obviously depends upon the region).

My all-time favorite taco stand was a place we used to hit every time we were at a fork in the road between San Jose del Cabo and the airport. Dirt floor and maybe six seats at the counter. The lady made ground beef tacos with grill fried corn tortillas (and lots of onions). But her secret was that she spread mayonnaise inside the taco shells before serving them. Sounds weird, but try it sometime! I still get cravings now and then, and try to replicate them at home.

First and best fish tacos I've had in SoCal were here: Las Olas. Nice location, and a frequent stop when on the road between SD and Lalaland. Too many good Mexican restaurants in LA to mention...

In Bangkok, I like Senor Pico's at the Rembrandt. Of course it's a full on restaurant and not a taco stand, but the food is fairly good. I like the chile colorado. The available chiles they use to make do cause me to sweat like a pig, but it's delicious. I also find it amusing to see Thai men with their families and a bottle of Cuervo on the table. You don't often see people with their own bottles, especially when with family, here in SoCal.

Just got back from Cambodia, and in Siem Reap went to a Mexican restaurant called Viva.

Esaily the best Tex-Mex food I've have in Asia.

Probably because it's run by a Latino expat who knows what the right way to cook and present things are.

It was great and everyone I went with agreed.

If you go to Siem Reap, check it out. It's in Pub Street.

Sorry... a little :topic:

First time I ever encountered a "fish taco" was in San Francisco in 1966 at a fund raiser for Cesar Chavez. They were made with tuna fish. Didn't taste bad at all, but I suspect they were an invention to save money.

Incidentally, you can use canned tuna to make "pork barbecue" too. The sauce is what provides the taste, so you can hardly tell the difference.

Archived