Debt collection

rab

As an american lawyer who I once met in an seminar said:

if a man threatens me with a gun or a knife to get my wallet I'll fight with him

if he says that he will sue me if I don't give the wallet to him I give it to him.

In this case pay the 18,000 first and later find out if it was legal or not.

Foreign passports can also be be confiscated by police or judge.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"As an american lawyer who I once met in an seminar said:

if a man threatens me with a gun or a knife to get my wallet I'll fight with him

if he says that he will sue me if I don't give the wallet to him I give it to him."

lol@legalsystem.usa

Good one! Don't they recognize insolvency or have personnal bankrupcy laws in LOS?

Rather depends on who owns the debt, presumably it can be sold on to some rather nasty types who won't take no for an answer.

Usually, if it's for something like a motorcycle or car they just take the vehicle back so no great problem if it has been countersigned.

May well be a case of getting the farang to pay up as the assumption is it's farang money (basically if any Thai girl is being supported by a farang you will never get any money she has loaned out back - and if she signs for something the same thinking goes down, why bother paying off the debt when the farang can pick up the bill).

Don't pay and see what happens... worst case you can always stump up the money at the last moment.

Gambling debts cannot be legal so that is a daft example.

I totally agree that the idea to just pay the debt (real or not) is bloody stupid when we consider the amount of times we bitch about getting screwed over by the thieving gits who "run" this country.

So therefore, you all owe me Bt18,000, sorry, you all owe my missus Bt18,000 or I'll nick your passport and lock you up. Please drop by and pay up or else !

Amazed at the amount of debate this one has generated. We will probably err on the side of caution and visit the office making the claim to see if the form is legal or not. Mhy wife's family has some informal advise over the w/e from a lawyer that there is no legal power to take a passport as a last resort, but in TL you never know who's right and who's wrong. Agree with you about the ease with which these things are signed - we also know a thai uni student who signed something similar for a mobile phone for a friend without any consideration or undertsanding of consequences.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived