Debt collection

rab

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not ignore it.

We say, "last bullet fired, wins"...so keep communicating and stalling as needed.

As long as the line of communications is open and active, little can be done on their side and if they can press the issue, you have documentation that you have been trying to solve the issue (with copies of all the communications).

Stall, stall, stall until they give up and go away! Basic USA law 101.

The onus is on them to prove that the debt is valid. I know one instance where a Thai company tried to extract money from a sister because the borrower did not repay. There was nothing signed and it all disappeared after we went to their offices in Bangkok and had it out with them.

I sincerely doubt that Bt18k would have people chasing signatories all over the place as the amount is so small. However, if she has signed it, then she may be liable. Where is the person who took out the loan ?

How many of us (farangs) would settle if faced with a fraudulent transaction (none I suspect).

If the debt is owned (the TG in fact signed to guarantee the loan then pay up).

If she did not tell them to fuc...... whistle. I'm surpised so many of you say pay considering the amount of posts about not letting Thais rip us off??

As Quoted by me Earlier

The Passport is a Government issued document that may be withdrawn at any time

I don't know which part of this statement is misunderstood! Evin back in my home country (The UK) the courts can order me to surrender my passport as part of Bail conditions, get a court order if they thought I was a football hooligan etc

Even in Thailand it does not matter if it is nickels and dimes or billions the laws are the same, it is the application that is variable.

Pom Michael,

The way I read it, I may be wrong, but I envisage court action ... I know people who have had their children threatened for their ex wifes 250,000 Baht gambling fees, so passport confiscation sounds like the legal route.

If Thai courts judge a Thai to be in debt then they have to surrender their passport.

Im not sure about LOS but here in Oz if the mater goes to court, if it is considered yo are a "flight risk" then the courts can order the forfieture of you PPT. In this instance the allegegations have to be significant.

If posible and your wives in the UK, why does'nt she get herself an English PPT? then the Thai courts would have to imprison her or wave goodbye as she boards a plane for the UK....

Like Cav said stall, stall, stall...operate like PayPAl and just bullshit until the matted dies. they will get to the point where it will die, may take some time, but right now theyre just fishing.

Chok Di...

"My wife is being pursued for a debt of 18,000bt because she is a signatory as a gauarantor for a loan for a friend some years back."

If you are receiving letters in the UK for this debt, who gave out your address? And is the letters sent to her with her new last name?

"She believes her friend copied her signature form her ID card."

Have you asked for proof of a copy of the document to see if this did happen? Was the loan for 18,000 baht? How much of the loan was paid? How much extra did they pad to the bill?

We will be in the LoS in a few weeks.

Sounds like you need to visit a lawyer or at least find out if there is any truth to this.

Archived